AFRICA/TANZANIA - Emergency Campaign to immunize 10 thousand children against measles which is spreading in the archipelago of Zanzibar
Stone Town (Agenzia Fides) – After five years, a new measles epidemic is spreading in the archipelago of Zanzibar. According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, health workers are ready for a-two-day emergency campaign during which 10 000 children under five years of age will be vaccinated. Most of the 76 cases which were registered in the last two weeks, 62 of these children were treated while 14 others are still in hospital under close observation. The spread of this sudden epidemic is due in part to delays in the distribution of vaccines caused by the general high demand, but also by the parents' reluctance to bring their children to health centers. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 29/08/2011)
- 2015-11-10 - Start negotiations to overcome the crisis after the cancellation of the vote in Zanzibar
- 2015-10-29 - The elections in Zanzibar revoked due to "serious irregularities"
- 2015-10-06 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "No to ethnic or religious manipulations before the vote"
- 2015-06-19 - Bishop of Mpanda to the young: "Go and vote in the October elections"
- 2015-03-31 - Constitutional referendum at risk for the controversy over Islamic Courts
- 2015-02-18 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – Kidnapping of one year old albino toddler triggers indignation
- 2014-10-17 - Activities and programs for children and adolescents infected with HIV
- 2014-08-06 - Some Tanzanian citizens arrested in connection with the assaults in Lamu, causing 100 deaths
- 2014-07-12 - The Bishops to the constituents: "You have a moral duty to give the Country a new constitution"
- 2014-06-25 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – A Tanzanian religious woman killed during a street robbery