AFRICA/LIBYA - "The situation in Tripoli is calmer but we still have to be careful when leaving the house", says Mgr. Martinelli
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation seems calmer. We are heading towards improvement, but we still have to be very careful when leaving the house", says His Exc. Mgr Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, who is in Italy for medical appointments, but in the morning he contacted the responsible of the Apostolic Vicariate in the Libyan capital. "I am sure that with time everything will return back to normal," said Mgr. Martinelli, who does not hide however the difficulties that arise. One of these, as reported by Peter Bouckaert, director for the Human Rights Watch emergencies, is the presence of huge amounts of weapons lying in the arsenals of Gaddafi’s military regime. "It is a serious problem, these weapons must be put in a safe place and made inactive, because if they fall into the wrong hands the consequences can be severe and risk the outbreak of uncontrolled violence", agrees Mgr. Martinelli. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/08/2011)
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/LIBYA - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 AFRICA/LIBYA - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi
- 2012-12-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Security is the top priority of my government," says the Libyan Premier
- 2012-12-17 AFRICA/LIBYA - The Libyan authorities decree the south "military zone" and close the borders with four States
- 2012-12-07 AFRICA/LIBYA - Christmas carols in different languages: a tradition of the Church in Libya
- 2012-09-12 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Do not offend the peoples religious sensibility," said Mgr. Martinelli
- 2012-08-10 AFRICA/LIBYA - Transfer of power from the CNT to the National Assembly which elects its President Mohamed al-Magariaf