AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - The Year of the memory of the Comboni missionary presence will conclude with the 20th anniversary of Fr. Alfredo Fiorini’s assassination
Maputo (Agenzia Fides) - The 20th anniversary of Brother Alfred Fiorini’s assassination, a Comboni missionary doctor, which will be celebrated on August 24, 2012, has provided the inspiration for the Comboni missionaries present in Mozambique, to hold a particular year of prayer and reflection, which began last August 24, as reported by the Comboni Press. In his letter entitled "The Year of our memory: the Comboni Mission in Mozambique", the Provincial Superior, Fr. Jose Luis Rodriguez Lopez writes: "We want this event to consolidate our missionary spirit and give continuity to the historical and charismatic memory of our province, and proposing it as a means of entertainment and education ... For this reason, we want to start a year of prayer and provincial communion, by commemorating the historic events of our missionary presence in Mozambique". The Superior also stresses: "Every moment we spend on mission, means we are walking and tracing history. Of course, these experiences remain imprinted in our minds and, in particular, in our hearts ... We need to strengthen our provincial community through events that have outlined the work of our missionary presence in this Church of Mozambique since the beginning".
Suggesting some steps to live this particular year of memory (monthly Eucharistic adoration, the recitation of the prayer composed for the occasion, publication of a book on the historical Comboni presence in the country, the celebration of the provincial assembly for the analysis of the current reality of Mozambique ...), Fr. Jose Luis Rodriguez Lopez recalls that "Mozambique was marked by the shedding of blood of many martyrs, priests, religious men and women and lay people" this is why the year of the memory will end with a celebration on the spot of Brother Alfred Fiorini’s martyrdom.
On August 29, 1992 Fides wrote, "the Comboni missionary doctor Brother Alfred Fiorini was killed around noon on August 24, by rounds of machine-gun fire. He was returning to the mission in Namapa, where he directed the hospital. While he was driving down the road between Nacala and Carapira in Miraval area, Monapo district, province of Nampula, he was shot, by unknown people. Brother Alfredo worked in Mozambique for two years, not only as a missionary doctor, but as an all-rounder missionary, sharing the fate and suffering of the hungry and the sick, committed to supporting and promoting the people ". (SL) (Agenzia Fides 27/08/2011)
- 2013-04-05 AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - Clashes between police and Renamo: at least 4 victims
- 2013-01-30 AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - Over 50 thousand people displaced due to the floods
- 2012-11-19 AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - A new psychomotor rehabilitation center for disabled children has been inaugurated
- 2012-11-13 AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - More than 130,000 families at the centre of severe famine in the province of Tete
- 2012-10-04 AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - After 20 years since the peace agreement, the Bishops ask to strengthen democracy
- 2012-09-13 AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - Severe state of famine for 30 000 families in the province of Gaza
- 2012-06-06 AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE-Health care for the inhabitants of the district of Caia and 3 other neighboring districts
- 2012-05-24 AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE-A new maternity ward to celebrate Africa Day
- 2012-05-04 AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - Young missionary killed during a robbery at the mission of Liqueleva
- 2012-01-31 AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - After the tropical storms, the situation continues to worsen