AFRICA/LIBYA - "I am anxious to return to Tripoli to be with the community and the priests", says Mgr. Martinelli to Fides
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - "The fact that, as I have been told, many Libyans are trying to return home is a good sign because it means that in some areas of the country's security conditions have improved. This encourages me because as soon as possible, I will follow them too", says Mgr. Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli to Fides, who is currently in Italy. "I am anxious to return to Tripoli to be with the community and the priests. Unfortunately so far I have been recommended not to leave because the usual routes to return to Libya are blocked. The fact that several Libyans are returning home, however, gives me hope to go back soon", said Mgr. Martinelli.
Regarding the future of Libya the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli says: "until we know what has happened to Gaddafi it is difficult to make predictions. The situation is still dangerous because there are loyalists who are ready to give their life for him". But Mgr. Martinelli concludes with a note of hope: "In Libya there are wonderful, intelligent and well-prepared people, who can lead the country. There are elites able to take control of the situation and plan the future of the country, preserving its unity". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/08/2011)
- 2013-05-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - Attack near the Catholic church in Benghazi
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/LIBYA - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 AFRICA/LIBYA - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi
- 2012-12-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Security is the top priority of my government," says the Libyan Premier
- 2012-12-17 AFRICA/LIBYA - The Libyan authorities decree the south "military zone" and close the borders with four States
- 2012-12-07 AFRICA/LIBYA - Christmas carols in different languages: a tradition of the Church in Libya
- 2012-09-12 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Do not offend the peoples religious sensibility," said Mgr. Martinelli