OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-The demand for Catholic education in the country is increasing: 13 more schools are being projected
Melbourne (Agenzia Fides) - To meet the increasing demand in the Australian region of Geelong, Victoria, 13 new Catholic schools will be built. The head of the Catholic Education Office of Melbourne said that there is the project of building 10 primary schools and "two or three" secondary schools in the region within the next 12 years. In addition to Geelong, the project will be extended to Werribee, Hoppers Crossing and Tarneit. In Armstrong Creek the land for the construction of a new school has already been purchased while negotiations for the purchase of land for an additional campus in Geelong are in progress. It has not yet been decided whether the new Catholic school in Armstrong Creek will be primary or secondary. The program of building new schools was initiated in response to the increasing request of Catholic education throughout the region. According to the latest Statistical Yearbook of the Church in Australia, the Church runs 471 kindergartens, 1,310 primary schools, 465 junior and high schools. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 25/08/2011)
- 2013-05-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New project against trafficking and child labor in India
- 2013-02-22 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Government tells Churches "homosexuals must not be discriminated against in social service"
- 2012-12-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New Catholic schools are born, enrollment increases
- 2012-11-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers and we are particularly concerned about the children": Council’s appeal for social justice
- 2012-10-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Catholic Mission: To restore hope to the people of the Philippines devastated by the Typhoon Ondoy
- 2012-04-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-Campaign of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Australia for Ethiopia's population
- 2012-03-29 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The support of the Australian Catholic to 195 dioceses in 38 nations through Catholic Mission
- 2012-01-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The liturgy is enriched with aboriginal chants and prayers in a church on the outskirts of Sydney
- 2011-11-24 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-The Bishops listen to an Aboriginal leader, "an agenda of hope"
- 2011-10-17 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "Aborigines and immigrants are the heart of the mission", says the Archbishop of Canberra