OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The Pontifical Mission Societies respond to the call to welcome and support unaccompanied refugee children
Sydney (Agenzia Fides) - Several Australian non-profit organizations have renewed their appeal in favour of refugee children in the country pending the court decision on their future destiny. According to the information service Pro Bono Australia, both the Baptcare organization and Mission Australia have provided support services through their experts to help the Baptist Church, whose members have offered to host and take care of refugee children, who might otherwise be sent to Malaysia alone. The Baptist Church of Melbourne has offered to host the unaccompanied refugee children for free, at no cost to Australian taxpayers. Both Baptcare and Mission Australia have given their approval to this initiative. The first has offered the management of some cases to families that are willing to support these children in addition to personalized support for all children in custody. Mission Australia has guaranteed its experience as it is a leading provider of services to the country's homeless and youth services to support the church with the development of procedures to ensure the care of children. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/08/2011)
- 2013-02-22 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Government tells Churches "homosexuals must not be discriminated against in social service"
- 2012-12-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New Catholic schools are born, enrollment increases
- 2012-11-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers and we are particularly concerned about the children": Council’s appeal for social justice
- 2012-10-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Catholic Mission: To restore hope to the people of the Philippines devastated by the Typhoon Ondoy
- 2012-04-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-Campaign of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Australia for Ethiopia's population
- 2012-03-29 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The support of the Australian Catholic to 195 dioceses in 38 nations through Catholic Mission
- 2012-01-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The liturgy is enriched with aboriginal chants and prayers in a church on the outskirts of Sydney
- 2011-11-24 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-The Bishops listen to an Aboriginal leader, "an agenda of hope"
- 2011-10-17 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "Aborigines and immigrants are the heart of the mission", says the Archbishop of Canberra
- 2011-09-27 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - A hundred years ago the Australian Province of the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart was born