AFRICA/BURUNDI - Two religious women seriously injured in an assault due to street gangs were transported to Germany for treatment
Bujumbura (Agenzia Fides) - On August 20, Catholic Relief Services in Bujumbura organized the emergency evacuation of two nuns belonging to the Congregation Bene-Umukama. The nuns, in serious condition, were transported thanks to special flight organized by International SOS to a hospital in Germany.
"On the evening of August 10, an armed group attacked three cars that were heading towards Bubanza, including a car with a group of nuns of the Congregation Bene-Umukama and two priests of the Archdiocese of Gitega", sources of the local church say to Fides. Our sources thus reconstruct the attack: "On the evening of August 10 about 20 armed men blocked the traffic on the road to Bubanza. The gunmen first stopped a taxi where a soldier was travelling and who was killed immediately, then they stopped the van with the nuns and two priests, who were threatened they would be burned alive inside the vehicle. The occupants managed to get out of the vehicle, but the gunmen started shooting, hitting a priest and 4 nuns. Two of the nuns suffered very serious injuries, in particular one was hit in the face, losing an eye. The gunmen fled after burning the vehicles".
The priest and the two nuns whose conditions are less severe were admitted to Bubanza. Given the serious injuries of the two other religious women, they were immediately transported to Germany. Their conditions are improving. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/08/2011)
- 2013-01-28 AFRICA/BURUNDI - The national stock of essential goods destroyed in the fire of the central market in Bujumbura
- 2012-11-07 AFRICA/BURUNDI - The Bishops welcome the Framework Agreement between Burundi and the Holy See signed on 6 November
- 2012-10-09 AFRICA/BURUNDI - Education for women, to allow the whole society to grow: the commitment of the JRS
- 2012-07-04 AFRICA/BURUNDI - Independence of Burundi is a treasure to be made fruitful: the message of the Bishops for 50 years of independence
- 2012-02-23 AFRICA/BURUNDI - Help for displaced people due to the torrential rains in the Gatumba is urgently needed
- 2011-12-13 AFRICA/BURUNDI - "We must make every effort to avoid the abyss of war": Bishops of Burundi’s appeal
- 2011-11-28 AFRICA/BURUNDI - A nun and a volunteer killed, another woman religious seriously injured during a robbery
- 2011-11-14 AFRICA/BURUNDI - What formation for priests? Bishops of Rwanda and Burundi confront each other
- 2011-10-25 AFRICA/BURUNDI - The fourth Major Seminary in Burundi is starting
- 2011-09-22 AFRICA/BURUNDI - A dozen people have been arrested in connection with the massacre of Gatumba