AFRICA/NIGERIA - In the State of Kogi sermons are under the control of the security forces
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - In the Nigerian State of Kogi (north-central Nigeria), the agents of the State Security Service (SSS) have begun to monitor sermons in mosques and churches, to prevent the spread of speeches that can inflame and provoke violence due to religion .
According to a report in the Nigerian newspaper "The Vanguard" the Director of the Security Service in Kogi State, Mike Fubar, said that his organization will also monitor the outdoor preaching and other religious events.
Fubar added that preachers have to undergo a security check and obtain the authorization of the SSS to carry out their activities.
The head of the security service has also stressed that surveillance has been strengthened in hotels to prevent dangerous individuals to use such places as an operational base for criminal activity.
Even banks and companies operating in the State were invited to meetings with the leaders of law enforcement agencies to establish measures to reinforce security in their offices.
Thanks to these measures, according to the Director of the SSS, the presence of members of the sect Boko Haram in Kogi State has been avoided.
The sect Boko Haram is active in the State of Bauchi, where several attacks against churches, police stations and other civilian targets have been carried out. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/08/2011)
- 2013-05-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops: "Nigeria now almost totters on the brink. Prayer is essential to restore peace"
- 2013-05-21 AFRICA/NIGERIA – Bishops say: "Yes to the State of emergency but it is politicians have to work for peace,"
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Secretary of CAN in Borno killed, shortly after the declaration of a state of emergency
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am skeptical about the imposition of a State of emergency," said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-05-11 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Nigerian Church is with you": solidarity visit to Maiduguri of the Bishops of Jos Ecclesiastical Province
- 2013-05-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - After the clashes in Baga, displaced people are still homeless
- 2013-05-02 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The satellite images testify the heavy destruction in Baga
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Six Bishops of the Province of Jos on a solidarity visit to Maiduguri
- 2013-04-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - More than 70 churches destroyed in the state of Benue
- 2013-04-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Controversy in Nigeria after the massacre in Baga