AFRICA/ANGOLA - Five southern African countries create a common area of sustainable development
Luanda (Fides Service) – The creation of an ecologically protected area in the Kavango Zambezi Transfontier region (Kaza-ATFC) is becoming more and more concrete.
As reported in the Angolan newspaper "Apostolado", this is an initiative of sustainable development that includes five African Countries and will allow the connection to 14 areas of international importance.
With a length of 278,000 km square, the area is of interest to Angola, Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
According to a report by the Angolan National Directorate of Biodiversity, the project aims to establish a cross-border nature conservation area and international destination for eco-tourism in the regions of the catchment area of the Kavango and Zambezi rivers.
The project is currently examined by the 5 States. The treaty will be signed later this year. According to the document several technical groups have already been set up with regards to issues such as environmental conservation, local communities, defense and security, communications and tourism.
Among other objectives, the project also aims to conserve biodiversity, to spread the benefits of natural resources, to enable the sustainable development of local communities and eco-tourism.
In Angola, the project concerns the Kubango province, in the south-east and includes six environmental areas, two partial reserves (Luiana and Mavinga) and four public hunting areas (Mucusso, Long-Mavinga) and Luengo Luiana).
These areas cover an area of about 87 000 square kilometers. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/08/2011)
- 2015-11-12 - "Cleaning" operation for Independence Day
- 2015-11-11 - The Bishops: "Reconciliation and national unity is a task that never ends"
- 2015-10-26 - AFRICA/ANGOLA – Bishops put reconciliation at the centre of celebrations to mark 40 years of independence
- 2015-09-02 - Fighting illegal financial flows to find resources for the continent's development
- 2015-03-24 - AFRICA/ANGOLA – Angola, a nation of contradictions
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/ANGOLA – Archbishop of Luanda appointed
- 2014-02-13 - The challenges of ethics for Catholic leaders
- 2013-11-28 - Tensions in Angola after the killing of an opponent; the Bishops: "one must follow the path of peace"
- 2013-11-19 - A senior Angolan wanted by Brazil for human trafficking
- 2013-11-07 - "Abortion is a threat to the very existence of the nation", the Bishops said