EUROPE/AUSTRIA - 4.5 million sick people will benefit from the aid sent by the organization Missio Austria to fight leprosy
Vienna (Fides Service) - For over 25 years the organization for the fight against leprosy (Aussätzigen-Hilfswerk) of the national direction of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Austria (Missio Austria) is organizing a fundraising and a medicine collection campaign to help disadvantaged people in the poorest regions of the world, providing support for projects also long-term projects.
In 2010, 72 projects were promoted to combat leprosy and health system development. In addition to donations for a total of 1.5 million, medicines and medical equipment worth a total of 8.2 million were sent. Doctors, pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals and clinics in Austria, during the fund-raising campaign, provide first aid kits, sterile gloves, disposable syringes and various other equipment.
During July and August medicines are sorted and packaged in order to be sent on the basis of the requests. So far this year 3,200 boxes have been prepared to be sent to 29 missionary hospitals in Africa, Asia and Latin America. There are approximately 4.5 million patients who will benefit from this aid.
"For many of our patients the fact that there are people in Austria who do not forget them and do not leave them alone means to be half way on the road to recovery. We are grateful that Missio Austria with its organization in the fight against leprosy for many years has 'amplified' our voice ' ", writes Sister Mary Frederik from Tanzania.
Although leprosy is now officially considered "under control" every year 250,000 new infections worldwide are recorded. The projects currently supported by Missio Austria are mainly intended to overcome the discrimination experienced by patients in the past, integrating the therapies in the ordinary health system. (MS) (Agenzia Fides 05/08/2011)
- 2014-05-16 - Intolerance and discrimination against Christians in Europe are on the rise: 241 cases in 2013
- 2011-08-05 - 4.5 million sick people will benefit from the aid sent by the organization Missio Austria to fight leprosy
- 2011-03-11 - The missionary Church in Europe facing the signs of the times
- 2011-01-31 - "Day for street children" to remember the 30 million abandoned children
- 2010-12-18 - “The world needs priests!”: “Missio Austria” raises funds for priests from three continents
- 2010-08-25 - “Mother Teresa was a missionary of love without limits,” recalls Msgr. Leo M. Maasburg on the 100th anniversary of the birth of Mother Teresa of Calcutta
- 2010-08-13 - Missio Austria's organization for fighting leprosy, supporting 5 million patients, offers emergency aid to Pakistan
- 2010-07-16 - 18th International Conference on AIDS: Rights Here, Right Now
- 2010-06-12 - PMS aim to end child labour: safeguard freedoms of children and adolescents and provide new opportunities
- 2010-03-11 - Cistercian monks from the “Stift Heiligenkreuz” Abbey on their way to Sri Lanka to found new abbey