AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Cholera threatens prisons, denounces the Catholic Church
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - The Pastoral Commission in the Dominican Republic prisons has accused the National Directorate of Prisons (NDP) of hiding information about cases of cholera which have occurred in detention centers.
According to the newspaper Listin Diario, the office for the pastoral care in prisons believes that the NDP must act transparently and work to prevent the spread of the disease.
The Pastoral Commission says there are cases of cholera in prisons, and that the unsanitary conditions of the prisons make inmates more vulnerable to the disease. The DNP claims that disease in prisons is under control and that there are no outbreaks of cholera in any of the detention centers. According to data published by the local press, about 92 people have died of cholera epidemic in the Dominican Republic that originated in neighboring Haiti, which has already caused about 6000 deaths.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/08/2011)
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The amount of drug that passes throughout our Country is alarming," denounces Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez
- 2013-03-26 AMERICA/REP. SANTO DOMINGO - Hope for the inhabitants of bateye living in extreme poverty
- 2013-01-18 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - In the Year of Faith "We urge people to appreciate, and respect our women": Bishops' Pastoral Letter for the Feast of Our Lady of Altagracia
- 2013-01-14 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Campaign against illiteracy: The Church supports the initiative in favor of 850 thousand people
- 2013-01-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Crisis at the border with Haiti: Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez calls for government intervention
- 2013-01-08 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Literacy plan to eradicate poverty
- 2012-11-27 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A " Ministry of the Family ": the Church’s request to the government
- 2012-10-30 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "Stop violence against women" asks Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez at the end of the Mariana March
- 2012-10-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - There is always a high number of children who lose their basic right because not registered
- 2012-09-24 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Episcopal Conference