AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Violence creates an environment of uncertainty and tension", the Bishops denounce
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - "We see with sorrow the perpetuation of delinquency and crime, which always brings new deaths in the family and society in El Salvador", say the Bishops of El Salvador in a statement signed by His Exc. Mgr. Jose Luis Escobar Alas, the Archbishop of San Salvador.
The Bishops, while acknowledging the work that the government has done in this field, however, emphasize that there is still much to do to ensure a minimum of order and security to the population.
"The Episcopal Conference of El Salvador recognizes the efforts made by those responsible for public security to combat this scourge, even so this is not enough to give the people the social peace and security necessary for the development", write the Bishops.
"Certainly it is not enough to pray for peace, we need to work for peace, pray as if everything depended on God, but we must work as if everything depended on us", said Mgr. Escobar Alas to the local press, commenting on the statement. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/01/2011)
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Truce or peace process, but the population still suffers violence, denounce the Bishops
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - OAS and government together in the peace process, the truce between the gangs is a first step
- 2013-03-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Mgr. Romero was not a politician but a true pastor
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Monsignor Romero, 33 years after his death the cause of beatification advances
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The truce between the gangs is a positive iniative, but more needs to be done
- 2013-02-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Appeal for electoral campaign without violence and with transparency
- 2013-01-22 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The Vatican - observer of the Central American Integration System (SICA)
- 2012-11-16 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "United for life and for peace," the Catholic initiative to support the truce among the gangs
- 2012-10-15 AMERICA/ EL SALVADOR - "Politics is discredited, it has to be retrieved" urges Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2012-08-03 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Regain our dignity", the Church welcomes dialogue but without external pressures