AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Confession of Fr Louis Blondel’s murderer, the missionary of the White Fathers killed 2 years ago
Pretoria (Fides Service) –Confession of Fr Louis Blondel’s murderer, Louis Blondel, of the Missionaries of Africa (White Fathers), was killed on the night of December 7, 2009, in Diepsloot, one of the townships of Pretoria, South Africa (see Fides 12/9/2009).
Nelson Kabelo Malope pleaded guilty of murder in a deposition made before the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria. The man confessed to having entered the home of the missionaries in Diepsloot, along with some accomplices to carry out a robbery. Malope confessed to having entered the home through a window and then he opened the door to the accomplices. After having woken up the other people who lived there and stealing their mobile phones, the criminals then headed towards Fr. Louis Blondel’s room, who opened the door and was immediately killed with one gunfire shot.
Malope’s accomplices will be trialed separately next February.
Fr. Louis Blondel was 70 years old and native of northern France. He taught philosophy in Tanzania for 15 years. Since 1987, he moved to South Africa. In June 2009 he finished his second term as Superior of the Province of Southern Africa (Malawi, Mozambique and South Africa) of the White Fathers. He taught philosophy at St. Peter's Seminary, in Hammanskraal. After having founded "Cordis", an Emmaus center, and worked on the development of Orange Farm, a huge township in Johannesburg in 2008 Fr. Blondel had moved to Diepsloot, another township of about 300 thousand people which is situated between Johannesburg and Pretoria. In Diepsloot, Fr. Blondet had opened a new parish. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/07/2011)
- 2013-05-18 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The Bishops say they want explanations for the apparent misuse of State property for a private wedding
- 2013-05-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - New tensions in the South African platinum mines
- 2013-04-26 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The South African Bishops "regret" the approval of the Protection of State Information Bill
- 2013-03-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "The Church needs Pope Francis’ simple gestures," said Bishop Ponce de Leon who knew him
- 2012-10-12 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Violence on the rise: trade unions are losing control of the protest" said the Bishop of Rustenburg
- 2012-10-08 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Still tensions for the miners made redundant, trade unionists targeted by mysterious killer
- 2012-09-19 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Agreement reached for the Marikana mine, but more unrest in other mines is feared: Bishop Dowling’s opinion
- 2012-09-06 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Mine in Marikana: an agreement for peace has been reached, but it is not signed by all
- 2012-09-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - More than half of African children are "non-existent"
- 2012-09-04 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Marikana mine: "the release of the majority of miners is an important step," says the local Bishop