AMERICA/ECUADOR - New homes have been given to families of 300 street children
Guayaquil (Fides Service) - Guayaquil is one of the most important cities in Ecuador, developed mainly on the right bank of the Guayas River, its population reaches 3 million and half. The Nigeria area, which is located on the island of Trinitaria, on the delta of the river, is one of the poorest and deprived areas of the city. Here, the Salesians have developed a project for street children which aims to improve the quality of life for children, to redeem them from a situation of risk, return them to their families and help them in an educational and vocational formation. There are about 300 children involved in the project that has enabled to give 101 houses to the inhabitants of the "Independence II" Cooperative, who live on the Isle of Trinitaria in Guayaquil. The families of the children were given a house, so as to promote social advancement and relational stabilization of the child.
The construction of the houses was made possible thanks to the "Jugend Eine Welt" (JEW) and the inter-institutional cooperation between the Municipality and the "Consultora Don Bosco Foundation". (AP) (Agenzia Fides 27/07/2011)
- 2015-10-27 - Bishops’ Assembly: commitments following visit of Pope Francis and preparation for the Holy Year of Mercy
- 2015-10-15 - Spanish missionary in Ecuador turns 100 on World Mission Day
- 2015-10-05 - Improving access to education for children
- 2015-09-29 - "Supportive and welcoming border": Ecuador and Peru against trafficking and exploitation
- 2015-08-01 - Papal altar to serve as parish church
- 2015-07-08 - "We also want to be missionaries" says the indigenous representative to the Pope
- 2015-07-07 - The Pope's visit "will mark a before and after with regards to the situation in the country"
- 2015-07-06 - 10 000 from Santo Domingo to Quito for the Pope's Mass
- 2015-06-26 - Still demonstrations against President Correa
- 2015-06-17 - Bishops: dialogue is the only path to find solutions, violence is always destructive