AFRICA/LIBYA - "Food stores are hit, but with what right?" Complains Mgr. Martinelli
Tripoli (Fides Service) - "They are hitting civilian targets such as food stores" denounces His Exc. Mgr. Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli to Fides. "A few days ago, NATO warplanes hit a food store just outside Tripoli, which contained oil, pasta, tomato sauce. A river of oil came out of the warehouse which was destroyed. I know they have also hit a social center. By what right does one hit a food center? "Asks the Bishop.
"In addition, but I found out about the news in an indirect way and I have not personally verified, there seems to be demonstrations in the mountains near Tripoli in favor of Gaddafi. Again even in this case there were bombings. I have no news about casualties, and I do not think there are any, but it is clear that all of this is aimed at frightening people by bombing near their demonstrations ", said Mgr. Martinelli, who also refers to the psychological pressure which is affecting the population, because " NATO aircraft continue to fly , especially at night".
"The Libyans, however, show gratitude to the Church. Two days ago a group of women came to thank us for our the prayers in favor of peace. Yesterday I received another sign, simple but touching, the gratitude of the Libyans to the Church: a gentleman gave us a basket of figs, saying “these figs are for you because you are a sign of friendship ", concluded Mgr. Martinelli . (LM) (Agenzia Fides 07/26/2011)
- 2013-05-22 AFRICA/CONGO - Appointment of National the Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-05-20 AFRICA - "Greater financial transparency" is what two Bishops ask the European Union
- 2013-04-22 AFRICA - Reception centers for 4,000 street children in the Sahel
- 2013-04-19 AFRICA – Hunger emergency for a half million children in the Sahel region
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/CANADA - Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-04-13 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Resignation of the Bishop of Nsukka and appointment of successor
- 2013-03-18 AMERICA - From CELAM to Pope Francis: "Let us always remember the call to mission. Bishop and people"
- 2013-03-08 ASIA - Civil and religious leaders united against nuclear weapons
- 2013-01-28 AFRICA/NIGER - Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Niamey
- 2013-01-21 AFRICA/GABON - Resignation of the Bishop of Mouila and appointment of Successor