AFRICA/NIGERIA-The Bishops ask President Jonathan vigorous action to stop the Boko Haram sect
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - The President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, has ruled out the imposition of a state of emergency in the State of Borno, shocked by the violence of the Boko Haram sect. The Nigerian Head of State stressed that normality is gradually returning to the north-east State and that therefore the imposition of emergency measures is not necessary. Previously, the Episcopal Conference of Nigeria had launched an appeal to the President, as he is the maximum authority of State security, to undertake energetic action against the Boko Haram sect. In a statement signed by Fr Peter Okonkwo, Assistant Secretary of the Catholic Secretariat of Nigeria, the Bishops urged the President to act before the violence of the sect causes a real interfaith crisis. The Bishops emphasize that the attacks on behalf of the Haram Boko sect are part of a clear attempt to destabilize the country, by exploiting religion. Meanwhile, divisions have emerged within the Boko Haram, with the establishment of a faction, Yusufiyya Islamic Movement, which has condemned the indiscriminate attacks against civilians. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/07/2011)
- 2013-05-24 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "British-born Adebolajo is not a Nigerian": the Nigerian community in London react
- 2013-05-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops: "Nigeria now almost totters on the brink. Prayer is essential to restore peace"
- 2013-05-21 AFRICA/NIGERIA – Bishops say: "Yes to the State of emergency but it is politicians have to work for peace,"
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Secretary of CAN in Borno killed, shortly after the declaration of a state of emergency
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am skeptical about the imposition of a State of emergency," said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-05-11 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Nigerian Church is with you": solidarity visit to Maiduguri of the Bishops of Jos Ecclesiastical Province
- 2013-05-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - After the clashes in Baga, displaced people are still homeless
- 2013-05-02 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The satellite images testify the heavy destruction in Baga
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Six Bishops of the Province of Jos on a solidarity visit to Maiduguri
- 2013-04-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - More than 70 churches destroyed in the state of Benue