AFRICA/SUDAN-"Do not forget the Christians in north Sudan": appeal on behalf of the Auxiliary Bishop of Khartoum
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Daniel Adwok, Auxiliary Bishop of Khartoum, the capital of Sudan, has appealed to Christians worldwide to pray for the Christians in Sudan, especially for those who have made the difficult decision to leave the North and return to the South. Following the separation of Southern Sudan from the North (the new state's independence was officially proclaimed on July 9), hundreds of thousands of southern Sudanese living in the north, many of whom are Christians, have returned to their places of origin.
For Christians who remain in the north, the situation is not easy, underlines Msgr. Adwok to Radio Good News in Rumbek: Christians in Sudan are having to face a negative attitude by the local population that supports last year's President Bashir’s decree that states that after the independence of southern Sudan, the North will become an Islamic country, where there is full implementation of the sharia, with Arabic being the only official language of the state. Mgr. Adwok also stressed the financial difficulties that Catholic schools are facing in Sudan, to the point that the closure of some schools is being taken into consideration. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/21/2011)
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25 victims in the umpteenth bombing in the Nuba Mountains
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Chadian troops entered in Darfur, accusing a rebel movement
- 2013-04-05 AFRICA/SUDAN - The continuous bombing on villages in the Nuba Mountains aims to drive out the civilians
- 2013-03-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - The oil deal between Sudan and South Sudan is a prerequisite for the implementation of the agreements of 27 September
- 2013-02-21 AFRICA/SUDAN - Clashes in the Blue Nile area continue
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/SUDAN - Are Islamists fleeing Mali finding refuge in Darfur?
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/SUDAN - Talks between Sudan and South Sudan have been postponed
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Stop the war in South Kordofan and Blue Nile" is what 350 African civil societies ask for
- 2013-01-07 AFRICA/SUDAN - Agreement between Sudan and South Sudan in Addis Ababa
- 2012-12-19 AFRICA/SUDAN - Khartoum has announced a major breakthrough in talks with Juba for border security