EUROPE/SPAIN-Madrid is preparing to welcome a million young people for WYD
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - Major religious and cultural events organized for WYD (World Youth Day)by the Catholic Church that gather around the Pope thousands of young people from all continents this year will be held from August 16 to 21 in Madrid. According to the booking program "Forwardkeys", airline reservations for Madrid for WYD days increased by 150% compared to 2010. The Municipality of Madrid has estimated that 4,000 media from five continents will follow the event.
The Tourism Authority of Madrid is organizing three specific tours: "Madrid essential for World Youth Day " for people with disabilities, " Pontifical Madrid" and "The Churches in Madrid" in which you can visit the church-related buildings and the Papacy, convents and parishes as well. "World Youth Day 2011" and "Madrid for you, the ecclesiastical patrimony" are the titles of two welcome publications offered to pilgrims who report useful information about the capital. Fixed points concerning tourist information have been set up where specific information desks about WYD are found and new points will be created as this event draws near.
The city of Madrid has also organized spiritual cultural events, such as the exposition "Moved, by the beauty" that gathers architect Antonio Gaudi’s inspirational reasons, or the special itinerary that Prado Museum offers concerning important paintings where the image of Christ is portrayed. (EC) (Agenzia Fides 20/07/2011)
- 2013-03-14 EUROPE/SPAIN - Enthusiasm for the new Pope and waiting for further progress against hunger and poverty
- 2013-02-28 EUROPE/SPAIN - Hispanic-American Day: "America, Doors open to the mission"
- 2013-01-31 EUROPE/SPAIN - "There is no justice without equality": the crisis has worsened the poverty of women and girls around the world
- 2013-01-26 EUROPE/SPAIN - A video on the internet explains to children what it means to be a missionary
- 2012-12-28 EUROPE/SPAIN - "We are faced with a family and faith emergency ": On Sunday a demonstration in defense of the Christian family
- 2012-12-07 EUROPE/SPAIN - Right to education denied to 61 million boys and girls who do not attend school
- 2012-12-05 EUROPE/SPAIN - Hunger, unemployment and exploitation aggravate the already precarious situations
- 2012-11-16 EUROPE/SPAIN - 220 million malnourished children, penalized in their growth and future
- 2012-10-22 EUROPE/SPAIN - Two thousand children involved in fundraising for World Mission Sunday
- 2012-10-19 EUROPE/SPAIN - "There is no mission without missionaries": 14,000 Spanish missionaries in the world