AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN- The Bishop of Rumbek, Monsignor Caesar Mazzolari dies during Mass
Rumbek (Agenzia Fides) - Bishop of Rumbek, Monsignor Caesar Mazzolari, died this morning, July 16, at 8 am at the State hospital in Rumbek, where he was hospitalized after the illness that struck him while he was celebrating Mass. According to information released by Cisa agency, Fr. Don Bosco Ochieng, Director of Radio Good News Rumbek, said that the Bishop was concelebrating the morning Mass when, at the beginning of the consecration, he fell on the chair, without any strength, bringing a hand to his chest. With the help of some priests, nuns and faithful attending the Mass, he was taken to the sacristy and then in his room, where he was visited by a doctor and then was taken to hospital, where he died shortly after.
Mgr. Mazzolari was born in Brescia on February 9, 1937. He entered the Comboni Missionaries, was ordained a priest on March 17, 1962. After a first missionary experience in the United States, among blacks and Mexicans, in 1981 he arrived in Sudan in the diocese of Tombura-Yambio, then in the Archdiocese of Juba, then in the diocese of Rumbek (South Sudan), where he was ordained Bishop on January 6, 1999, by Pope John Paul II. On 9 July he attended the celebrations for the independence of South Sudan. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 16/07/2011)
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25 victims in the umpteenth bombing in the Nuba Mountains
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Chadian troops entered in Darfur, accusing a rebel movement
- 2013-04-05 AFRICA/SUDAN - The continuous bombing on villages in the Nuba Mountains aims to drive out the civilians
- 2013-03-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - The oil deal between Sudan and South Sudan is a prerequisite for the implementation of the agreements of 27 September
- 2013-02-21 AFRICA/SUDAN - Clashes in the Blue Nile area continue
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/SUDAN - Are Islamists fleeing Mali finding refuge in Darfur?
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/SUDAN - Talks between Sudan and South Sudan have been postponed
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Stop the war in South Kordofan and Blue Nile" is what 350 African civil societies ask for
- 2013-01-07 AFRICA/SUDAN - Agreement between Sudan and South Sudan in Addis Ababa
- 2012-12-19 AFRICA/SUDAN - Khartoum has announced a major breakthrough in talks with Juba for border security