AFRICA/ZAMBIA-The Vicar general of the Diocese of Mansa asks the authorities greater transparency
Ndola (Agenzia Fides) - The Vicar general of the Diocese of Mansa, Zambia, father Mambwe Mpas, said that failure to adhere to the present race in the country regarding the contract for road projects, could create a favorable opportunity for bribe concession and corruption. According to what a priest of the Diocese of Ndola reports to Fides, Father Mpas has asked himself why the government is in such a hurry to build road projects. The Vicar of Mansa said he is convinced that if the government took the necessary time to realize them, there would likely be more jobs for people who would do a good job without having to redo everything. Father Mpas has asked relevant authorities to follow the procedures for the allocation of services, since there is no emergency, and has asked the government to honestly inform the nation about the origin of the money allocated for road projects and the way in which it is introduced in the national budget. He has also said that he is saddened by the fact that the government does not keep people informed on major issues affecting the country. According to the head of the Non-Governmental Organizations Coordinating Council (NGOCC), Beatrice Grillo, it is necessary that the government focuses on sustainable development that favors the life of the entire population. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 06/24/2011)
- 2013-05-10 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - "Valuable money is wasted due to the high number of by-elections" denounces Caritas
- 2013-03-15 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - "Why do so many by-elections deprive hospitals of the funds they need?"
- 2013-03-09 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - Christians launch a campaign to combat violence against women
- 2013-02-28 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - Christian leaders: "We are extremely disturbed and greatly saddened by the electoral violence"
- 2013-01-29 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The Bishops denounce serious violations of human rights, "the Country is not in a state of emergency"
- 2013-01-09 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The priest of Rwandan origins expelled in August returns to Zambia
- 2012-08-20 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The bishops contrary to defining Zambia in the constitutional preamble as a "Christian nation"
- 2012-08-09 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - 130 priests call for the revocation of Fr.Viateur’s deportation
- 2012-08-07 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The Bishop of Chipata protests for the deportation of a priest of Rwandese origin
- 2012-06-28 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - 60% of health services in rural areas is managed by the Catholic Church