AFRICA/MALI - 9 deacons ordained from the major Seminary of Samaya
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - The major Seminary "Saint Augustine" of Samaya, in Bamako (Mali), closed yesterday, June 21, the academic year 2010-2011. As Don Edmond Dembele, Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Mali reports to Fides, nine seminarians were ordained to the diaconate at the Cathedral of Bamako on Sunday, June 19. The celebration was presided by Archbishop Jean Baptiste Tiama, Bishop of Sikasso and President of the Episcopal Conference of Mali. The 9 deacons are from Kankan, Nzérékoré and Conakry (Republic of Guinea), San and Mopti, (in Mali). Mgr. Tiama in his homily stressed the importance of the diaconate, and urged the new deacons to be at the full service of their communities. The major Seminary, which serves both the Church in Guinea and in Mali, has a new Rector, appointed by the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples: Fr. Ahmadou Kizito Togo, a priest of the diocese of Mopti, ordained in 1993, who goes back to Mali after obtaining his Ph.D. in Church History in Rome. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/06/2011)
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/MALI – More than 3 million suffer food shortage, some 50,000 could starve to death before the end of 2014
- 2013-09-06 AFRICA/MALI - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy
- 2013-08-05 AFRICA/MALI - In view of the run-off Caritas Mali proposes some measures to improve the electoral process
- 2013-08-01 AFRICA/MALI - Caritas: "The population of Mali has demonstrated with the vote its attachment to the institutions"
- 2013-07-31 AFRICA/MALI - Caritas Mali: "Elections substantially correct"
- 2013-07-27 AFRICA/MALI - Presidential elections, Caritas urges to solve the humanitarian crisis
- 2013-06-24 AFRICA/MALI - Meeting of Caritas on the humanitarian crisis in Mali
- 2013-06-19 AFRICA/MALI - Mixed reactions to the peace agreement for Kidal
- 2013-04-29 AFRICA/MALI – The situation improves but the plight of displaced persons and refugees is not forgotten
- 2013-04-10 AFRICA/MALI - Refugees, food shortages and mine clearance: new emergencies in the Country