AMERICA/PANAMA-Child labor is a "social distortion" denounces the Archbishop of Panama
Panama City (Fides Service) – In the context of the celebrations of the World Day Against Child Labour, on Sunday, June 12, the Archbishop of Panama, His Exc. Mgr. José Domingo Ulloa Mendieta, OSA, criticized the high levels of corruption in which the Central American nation lives and urged the government of Ricardo Martinelli to eradicate child labor, because it is a "social bias" that affects thousands of children". There was, there is and there will be corruption as long as accomplices exist, and we are all accomplices if we consider it as something natural, only as something cunning and nothing more", said the Archbishop in the homily during Mass on Sunday, June 12 in Panama City.
Mgr. Ulloa complained that in Panama 60,700 between children and adolescents, are working as adults and are exploited without the State guaranteeing their rights and providing for their education: "they have the right to enjoy their childhood and to grow, you have to give them a possibility. It is time for the parents, the state, civil society organizations, to agree to eliminate this social distortion in our country”, continued Archbishop Ulloa.
According to data published by the local press, the National Secretariat for Children, Youth and Family of Panama, as official data shows 60,702 children and adolescents between 5 and 17 years working in rural and urban areas of the country, without any kind of protection, which, as reported by Mgr. Ulloa, affects their fundamental rights. The Archbishop also urged the Panamanian authorities to investigate "in depth" on the corruption scandals that have also involved the government in recent months. These scandals, denounced by opposition parties and civil organizations, see some officials involved in drug dealing and human trafficking. (EC) (Agenzia Fides 14/06/2011)
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" promoted by the Church signed by the parties, not by the government
- 2013-03-05 AMERICA/PANAMA - "Do not give support to candidates who do not sign the Electoral Ethics Pact" insists the Church
- 2013-02-21 AMERICA/PANAMA - No to text changes in Electoral Ethics Pact
- 2013-01-31 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" text to defend democracy, mutual respect is ready
- 2013-01-11 AMERICA/PANAMA - Bishops denounce the "growing social disillusionment " and propose public education as a basis for development
- 2012-12-12 AMERICA/PANAMA - The Catholic Church mediates between firemen and government authorities
- 2012-12-03 AMERICA/PANAMA - Archbishop Ulloa is the new President of SEDAC
- 2012-11-30 AMERICA/PANAMA - The 500th anniversary of the first diocese: Cardinal Ouellet meets with the President of Panama; Santa Maria La Antigua’s story on the web
- 2012-11-28 AMERICA/PANAMA - Meeting of the Bishops of Central America, today the opening of the Jubilee Year for the 500th anniversary of the first diocese
- 2012-11-07 AMERICA/PANAMA - A minute of prayer for Panama across the country, dialogue in Colon reopens