AFRICA/REP. CENTRAL-"The widespread insecurity, forcing the population to live in despair", appeal to the international community of the Justice and Peace Commission
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "The security situation in Central African Republic and, particularly, in the north and north-east, where raging armed gangs clearly identified sow desolation with total impunity, forcing populations to live in constant despair". This is the complaint by the Episcopal Commission for Justice and Peace " of Central African Republic in a statement, sent to Fides, signed by Archbishop Albert Vanbuel, Bishop of Kaga-Bandoro and President of the Commission.
The document recalls recent incidents of violence recorded in the country. In particular, His Exc. Mgr. Eduard Mathos, Bishop of Bambari and President of the Central African Catholic Bishops' Conference, was kidnapped (later released) together with his driver who still has not been found(see Fides 4.6 / 06 / 2011), the murder of the doctor in charge of the Prefecture of Healthcare Haut Mbomou and his driver in the destruction of their vehicle full of medicines and vaccines against polio; another murder was carried out in the same area.
Faced with these facts, the Commission for Justice and Peace asks the "Central African government to take on its responsibility to ensure the free movement and protection of persons and property in accordance with the Constitution of 27 December 2004". He also calls upon "the international community to provide the necessary logistical and material support to the fight against the growing insecurity in the country. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/11/2011)
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Central African Republic is likely to become a home for Al Qaeda," says a missionary
- 2013-05-08 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Planned destruction of Christian churches" the Bishops denounce
- 2013-05-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "What are the true intentions of Seleka towards us?" Ask the Bishops
- 2013-05-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The looting of the rebels continues, another church desecrated
- 2013-04-25 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - A month after the conquest of Bangui rebels continue to vex the population
- 2013-04-19 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The Central African Countries promise another 2000 men to ensure safety
- 2013-04-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "More than a thousand people have sought refuge in the hospital" says the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2013-04-16 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The already poor population is stripped of everything," denounces the Bishop of Bangui
- 2013-04-15 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Chaotic situation, who can must escape"
- 2013-04-13 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA- Still chaos but the new authorities carry out some steps to stabilize the situation