AFRICA/TUNISIA-There is "a modest acceleration in the paperwork to relocate the refugees accepted in Tunisia to other countries", says Don Mussie Zerai
Tunis (Agenzia Fides) - "The refugees were transferred from the camp where in recent days, some tents had been burned to another, on a hill near a Tunisian military detachment", says Don Mussie Zerai to Fides, Eritrean priest, President of the Habeshia Agency for the Development Cooperation, whose members assist the refugees who have fled from Libya who were welcomed in the camp of Chouca, about 25 km from the town of Ras Ajdir, Tunisia. Between 21 and 23 May accidents occurred between refugees of different nationalities and the local population in the camp. Several tents were set on fire while four people were killed (see Fides 26/5/2011).
" Something is moving also in terms of paperwork for their transfer to countries that have agreed to accept them. This also depends on how much personnel the UNHCR (UN High Commissioner for Refugees) will send to deal with the bureaucratic operations", says Don Mussie Zerai who seems, however, confident, also because " I was told that in the coming days, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees will visit the camp. Let's see if this visit will help to quicken the paperwork". After the repatriation of people who were not entitled to ask for political refugee status, refugees from different nationalities have remained in the camp: Eritrea, Ethiopia and Somalia, as well as some Sudanese from Darfur. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/10/2011)
- 2015-06-30 - "Do not abandon Tunisia, otherwise you will find the extremists at home", says the pastor of Sousse
- 2015-03-30 - "Tunisians are proud of the demonstration against terrorism"
- 2015-03-20 - "Tunisians, peaceful people who want a democratic Country are those who suffer the most" says the Director of the PMS
- 2014-10-27 - "Tunisian society is maturing a democratic consciousness" notes Fr. Alamat
- 2014-01-14 - The challenge of an ecclesial community that is renewed every 4 years
- 2013-08-23 - A day of prayer and peace for the Arab world proclaimed by the Church in Tunisia
- 2013-05-02 - Two armed groups are being chased after on the border with Algeria; concern for jihadists fleeing from Mali
- 2013-01-14 - "After the Tunisian revolution irreversible changes in the Arab world," said Mgr. Lahham
- 2013-01-08 - Father Marek Rybinski's murderer convicted
- 2012-09-20 - "Serious and unjustifiable offences. No to provocation and violence " says the Church in Tunisia