AFRICA/ANGOLA-A new home for children and youth at risk in Luanda
Luanda (Agenzia Fides) – For almost a month the poor and abandoned children in Luanda can count on the support of a welcoming house for minors "Zeferino Namuncurá", renovated and run by NGO Salesian volunteers "International Volunteers for Development" (IVD). The house is located in "Boa Vista", one of the poorest areas of Luanda, and currently houses 11 young people taken away from street life and embarked on the recovery and reintegration into society. The renovation was made possible thanks to the project "Strengthening the social safety net for the protection of the more vulnerable and marginalized children and adolescents in Luanda" and is included in the program of activities developed by IVD to provide children and youth at risk in the capital of places where they can fully grow and develop.
The IVD has been present in Angola since 1991 and operates in several sectors, including education, health care, professional training, defense of human rights. In recent years it has concentrated its activities in the provinces of Luanda and Moxico, engaging particularly in the training of local teachers, combining school education, literacy in the first place, the education to development and human rights. About 500 teachers (professors of schools and youth group leaders) benefited from residential training courses; during the awareness meetings about 7,000 people; 750 operators "seniors" were involved in literacy training courses and among other activities computer courses and other initiatives to raise awareness on human rights through radio and print were also initiated (AP) (Agenzia Fides 09/06/2011)
- 2013-11-28 AFRICA/ANGOLA - Tensions in Angola after the killing of an opponent; the Bishops: "one must follow the path of peace"
- 2013-11-19 AFRICA/ANGOLA - A senior Angolan wanted by Brazil for human trafficking
- 2013-11-07 AFRICA/ANGOLA - "Abortion is a threat to the very existence of the nation", the Bishops said
- 2013-08-27 AFRICA/ANGOLA - Increase sea fishing to contibuire the fight against poverty
- 2013-08-24 AFRICA/ANGOLA - Luanda, the most expensive city in the world where many do not have anything and just few have everything
- 2013-06-06 AFRICA/ANGOLA - More than 52,000 Congolese expelled from Angola in 3 weeks; an NGO reports cases of sexual violence
- 2013-03-21 AFRICA/ANGOLA - The Bishops criticize the words of the leader of UNITA
- 2013-01-26 AFRICA/ANGOLA - 2013 State budget: social spending increases but those for the defense are still remain very high
- 2012-11-12 AFRICA/ANGOLA - A new home for street children
- 2012-11-08 AFRICA/ANGOLA - Drought alarm: nearly 2 million people at risk of hunger, of whom 500,000 are children