EUROPE/SPAIN-Act of brotherhood between Mexico and Spain in the name of the Blessed Juan de Palafox
Burgo de Osma (Agenzia Fides) - A new and lasting sign of brotherhood among the people of Mexico and Spain was established thanks to Blessed Juan de Palafox y Mendoza, a native from Fitero in Navarra (Spain), and illustrious Bishop of Puebla, in Mexico. After the beatification ceremony, held yesterday, Sunday, June 5, in Burgo de Osma, in Spain, representatives of local political authorities welcomed the Mexican authorities in the Town Hall to sign an act of brotherhood between Puebla (Mexico), and Navarre and Castilla and León (Spain).
According to the letter received by Fides, the members of the State Congress, Rafael von Raesfeld, Mario Riestra Piña and Ana María Jiménez, and members of the Mexican PRI Filiberto Guevara and Jose Luis Marquez were received by the heads of the regional governments of Castilla y León, Juan Vicente Herrera, and the President of the Government of Navarra, Miguel Sanz Sesma. The sign of brotherhood among nations was led by Deputy Senate President of Spain, Juan José Lucas Jiménez: it is a badge that displays the flags of Spain and Mexico by the intertwined arms of Puebla.
Juan de Palafox y Mendoza was born in 1600 in the town of Fitero (Spain). In 1626 he entered the service of the monarchy. He became a priest in 1629 and ten years later he received the episcopal ordination. Appointed bishop of Puebla de los Angeles in Mexico (New Spain) he had important responsibilities, as viceroy and apostolic visitor, distinguishing himself as a zealous pastor. He died at Osma in 1659. Historians remember his intelligence, integrity, energy, intellectual preparation and will. He was bishop, political thinker, and viceroy and visitor of New Spain, a reformer, writer, poet, editor and commentator of St. Therese, patron of the arts and music, the protector of the Indians, legislator and ascetic, and a man of deep spirituality.
Pope Benedict XIII signed the introduction of the cause of beatification in 1726, Benedict XIV opened the path for the approval of his writings in 1758 and Benedict XVI approved the decree of heroic virtue (2009) and the decree regarding the miracle (2010). (EC) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2011)
- 2013-06-04 EUROPE/SPAIN - Millions of children sold as slaves around the world
- 2013-05-24 EUROPE/SPAIN - Africa Day: Economic growth is not reflected on the population
- 2013-03-14 EUROPE/SPAIN - Enthusiasm for the new Pope and waiting for further progress against hunger and poverty
- 2013-02-28 EUROPE/SPAIN - Hispanic-American Day: "America, Doors open to the mission"
- 2013-01-31 EUROPE/SPAIN - "There is no justice without equality": the crisis has worsened the poverty of women and girls around the world
- 2013-01-26 EUROPE/SPAIN - A video on the internet explains to children what it means to be a missionary
- 2012-12-28 EUROPE/SPAIN - "We are faced with a family and faith emergency ": On Sunday a demonstration in defense of the Christian family
- 2012-12-07 EUROPE/SPAIN - Right to education denied to 61 million boys and girls who do not attend school
- 2012-12-05 EUROPE/SPAIN - Hunger, unemployment and exploitation aggravate the already precarious situations
- 2012-11-16 EUROPE/SPAIN - 220 million malnourished children, penalized in their growth and future