AFRICA/LIBYA-The Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, "the Italian cemetery should be respected as a sacred place"
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - "This morning I called the Islamic Call Society to report the desecration of the Italian cemetery " His Exc Mgr.Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli says to Fides. On June 3, unknown assailants attacked the Italian cemetery in Tripoli, causing extensive damage without being able to penetrate into the rooms where the ossuaries are. On the walls there were writings against NATO and the allied bombings in progress on Libya, as well as insulting and threatening messages.
"I still have not been to the cemetery, but I hope to do so as soon as possible - said Mgr.Martinelli -. I am in constant contact with the keeper and I have consulted some people who somehow can do something. We must make it clear that the cemetery should be respected as a sacred place. We will see what happens". According to the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli the episode "was an act of evident anger. Tension is very strong and people are angry. The city is sad, everything is blocked. We are fervently waiting for something to happen ".
Mgr. Martinelli, however, continues to believe in dialogue: "Yesterday several people came to me to find out if there are possibilities of mediation or at least suspension of bomb attacks. There is willingness to find a peaceful resolution and reconciliation " . The Apostolic Vicar says he is depressed "because bombings have increased in intensity. It seems there is no desire to suspend them ". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2011)
- 2013-05-24 AFRICA/CONGO - The erection of the new diocese of Dolisie (Republic of Congo) and appointment of the first Bishop
- 2013-05-23 EUROPE/FRANCE - Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-05-22 AFRICA/CONGO - Appointment of National the Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-05-20 AFRICA - "Greater financial transparency" is what two Bishops ask the European Union
- 2013-04-22 AFRICA - Reception centers for 4,000 street children in the Sahel
- 2013-04-19 AFRICA – Hunger emergency for a half million children in the Sahel region
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/CANADA - Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-04-13 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Resignation of the Bishop of Nsukka and appointment of successor
- 2013-03-18 AMERICA - From CELAM to Pope Francis: "Let us always remember the call to mission. Bishop and people"
- 2013-03-08 ASIA - Civil and religious leaders united against nuclear weapons