AMERICA/MEXICO - "The fight against drugs must be global, " the Bishops stated
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Mexico (ECM) has rejected the request of some Latin American leaders to legalize the consumption of marijuana. "The fight against drugs must be a global effort, not a unilateral action. Therefore, if a country allows the use of a drug, many people from other countries will feel free to go to that country, and the State in question would not be able to face the serious health problems that would arise, "said His Exc Mgr.Carlos Aguiar Retes, Archbishop of Tlalnepantla and President of the ECM. Mgr.Retes, recently appointed President of the Latin American Episcopal Council (LAMEC) also added, the legalization of marijuana in Mexico now, would be inappropriate, as the government is committed to fighting drug-dealing.
During a press conference during the 91st plenary meeting of the ECM, the leading representative of the Catholic hierarchy praised the fight against drug-dealing initiated by President Felipe Calderón. In a message launched by ECM, the Bishops of the country expressed their concern over "rising criminal groups" and reaffirmed their support for the government to combat them. In these days The Global Commission on Drug Policy urged for the adoption of models of legalization and regulation of drug use ," especially marijuana ,in order to "eliminate the power of criminal organizations and provide security and safeguard people's health ". In a statement, the Commission stated that "the war against drugs has not reduced consumption, but has filled the prisons, costs millions of dollars, increased organized crime and caused thousands of deaths. " (AP) (Agenzia Fides 03/06/2011)
- 2013-06-17 AMERICA/MEXICO - "To burn people alive, film them and then sell the video is the sign of ethical decline"
- 2013-06-11 AMERICA/MEXICO - The disarmament campaign continues with the help of the Church: More than 5000 weapons recovered
- 2013-06-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Filing immigrants is a shame", denounces Fr. Solalinde
- 2013-06-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - "One cannot live in fear": the Bishops of Michoacan ask for everyone’s commitment
- 2013-06-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prayers for the truce between Honduran gangs in Mexico
- 2013-06-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - 2 migrants who had denounced extortion have been killed, the Church asks for protection
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of child labor increases in Yucatan
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - "There is less violence, but there are still no social programs," said Mgr. Gallardo
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - 18,000 street children exploited and at risk of physical, psychological and sexual violence
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women