AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC- The Bishop of Bambari was kidnapped for several hours
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) – His. Exc Mgr.Eduard Mathos, Bishop of Bambari, in Central African Republic, fell in an ambush by a group of rebels: he was kidnapped and then released after a short period. Local Church sources told Fides that for security reasons, they have requested anonymity. "Mgr. Mathos had gone to the village of Ngerengou, north of Bria, to administer the sacrament of Confirmation. Although he knew that several rebel groups operate in the area, the Bishop did not pull back, despite the risks, in order to continue his pastoral work, " Fides sources say.
"The rebel group, came to know that the Bishop was in the area, and moved to capture him. The attack took place on June 2. After a while, thankfully, they released him, but kept his driver and the car. Later, the rebels returned to get his mobile phone. The Bishop is still in Ngerengou because the area is still dangerous. Mgr.Mathos is safe and sound, and is protected by the local people"
"We do not know which group is responsible for this act, because in this area at least three or four rebel groups operate. Investigation and research by the Central African military and UN peacekeepers are being carried out " conclude the sources of Fides. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/04/201)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Central African Republic is likely to become a home for Al Qaeda," says a missionary
- 2013-05-08 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Planned destruction of Christian churches" the Bishops denounce
- 2013-05-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "What are the true intentions of Seleka towards us?" Ask the Bishops
- 2013-05-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The looting of the rebels continues, another church desecrated
- 2013-04-25 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - A month after the conquest of Bangui rebels continue to vex the population
- 2013-04-19 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The Central African Countries promise another 2000 men to ensure safety
- 2013-04-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "More than a thousand people have sought refuge in the hospital" says the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2013-04-16 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The already poor population is stripped of everything," denounces the Bishop of Bangui
- 2013-04-15 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Chaotic situation, who can must escape"
- 2013-04-13 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA- Still chaos but the new authorities carry out some steps to stabilize the situation