AMERICA/PERU -The Bishops hope for a respectful and harmonious electoral climate within sight of the elections on June 5
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Peru show the faithful the criteria on how to choose the candidates just a few days before June 5 runoff elections in which voters are asked to choose the next president between two candidates (Ollanta Humala from Ghana Peru and Keiko Fujimori from Fuerza 2011), and representatives of the Congress of the Republic.
In the message published by the Episcopal Conference, which was sent to Fides, the Bishops state: "In this decisive moment, we reaffirm the willingness of the Catholic Church - whose prime responsibility is to preach the Gospel of Christ died and Christ risen; to proclaim the defense of life from conception to natural death, and specify the value of the family as an essential part of society-, to cooperate for the historical, cultural and morale development of the country, as recognized by the Constitution of Peru. In this sense, we cannot forget that the Catholic Church has developed, fulfills and continues to play an important role in human development in all strata of our society, especially among the poorest and most remote places in the territory of Peru. "
In their message, the Bishops also addressed an appeal to the media: "We ask journalists and news media to inform with the utmost responsibility, differentiating their opinion from objectivity with regards to information. We invite you to exercise freedom of expression with impartiality and transparency, seeking truth, justice and common good. "
At the end of the message, the episcopal conference asks everyone to live in a respectful, tolerant and harmonious electoral climate, to facilitate the right and duty to vote freely.
The document is signed by: Mgr. Miguel Cabrejos Vidarte OFM., Metropolitan Archbishop of Trujillo and President of the Peruvian Episcopal Conference, and Mgr. Lino Panizza Richero OFM Cap, Bishop of Carabayllo and General Secretary of the Peruvian Episcopal Conference.
(EC) (Agenzia Fides 01/06/2011)
- 2013-04-25 AMERICA/PERU - Education and sports activities for street children
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/PERU - Thousands for the March for Life, rather than a law, the testimony of the population
- 2013-02-23 AMERICA/PERU - Solidarity and sobriety: the solution to the crisis
- 2013-01-08 AMERICA/PERU - For the first time the "Sowers of Stars" march in the streets of the Peruvian capital
- 2012-11-28 AMERICA/PERU - A program of support for more than 6000 street children and adolescents has started
- 2012-11-23 AMERICA/PERU - The first stone of the new church dedicated to San. Pedro and San. Pablo in Ichu was blessed
- 2012-11-13 AMERICA/PERU- Forced labor for 200 000 children in the region of Puno
- 2012-11-08 AMERICA/PERU - "Being able to read, listen, see": a Congress on the ethical responsibility of spectators
- 2012-10-25 AMERICA/PERU - New website guides the faithful Peruvians in the Year of Faith
- 2012-10-17 AMERICA/PERU - "To carry out mission in an area where there are scars of violence": the testimony of the Archbishop of Ayacucho