AFRICA/SUDAN-"The situation of displaced persons from Abyei is always more dramatic, " said the Apostolic Administrator of Malakal
Abyei (Agenzia Fides) - "The humanitarian situation of over 40,000 people who have fled from Abyei is even more dramatic, " says Mgr.Roko Taban Mousa to Fides, Apostolic Administrator of Malakal in southern Sudan, and Abyei is part of this territory, a town on the border between north and south Sudan, occupied by troops in Khartoum on 21 May. The data on the number of people who have fled from the advancing troops in Khartoum is uncertain. According to an official of the Government of South Sudan, the IDPs could be around 80,000. "These people have no support, lack of food and medicine, in part because North Sudanese troops have occupied Abyei and also because they have seized food stocks held in the city, " said Msgr. Mousa. The United Nations has condemned the raid by the military in Khartoum of 800 tons of food and other basic necessities in storage on behalf of humanitarian organizations in Abyei.
"The government of South Sudan has appealed to international organizations because the displaced persons from Abyei need help, but so far, from what I know, nothing has happened, even if there are people of good will who want to help them. Furthermore, the rain continues to scourge, and to make things worse there is the presence of mosquitoes and the outbreak of diseases like malaria and diarrhea. In other words, the situation remains very serious, " concludes the Apostolic Administrator of Khartoum.
North and south Sudan have pledged to peacefully resolve the crisis through negotiations to be held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopian capital and headquarters of the African Union. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/27/2011)
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25 victims in the umpteenth bombing in the Nuba Mountains
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Chadian troops entered in Darfur, accusing a rebel movement
- 2013-04-05 AFRICA/SUDAN - The continuous bombing on villages in the Nuba Mountains aims to drive out the civilians
- 2013-03-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - The oil deal between Sudan and South Sudan is a prerequisite for the implementation of the agreements of 27 September
- 2013-02-21 AFRICA/SUDAN - Clashes in the Blue Nile area continue
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/SUDAN - Are Islamists fleeing Mali finding refuge in Darfur?
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/SUDAN - Talks between Sudan and South Sudan have been postponed
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Stop the war in South Kordofan and Blue Nile" is what 350 African civil societies ask for
- 2013-01-07 AFRICA/SUDAN - Agreement between Sudan and South Sudan in Addis Ababa
- 2012-12-19 AFRICA/SUDAN - Khartoum has announced a major breakthrough in talks with Juba for border security