AMERICA/HAITI-The hope of a new life for the Haitian children returned back to their families
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides) - Eight Haitian children who were in the Dominican Republic as victims of human trafficking were repatriated and returned back to their families with the help of the International Organization for Migration (IOM), in the context of a family rejoining program for 44 children from Haiti discovered by the Haitian authorities in a raid against crime. The IOM said that the return to their families is carried out only when the authorities have verified that the families themselves are able to accept them.
In the report sent to Fides it is reported that during the process of repatriation, the IOM warns parents about the consequences of human trafficking and provides families a grant to start or expand their small businesses necessary for their sustenance. The 44 children were victims of human trafficking before the earthquake of 2010, forced to beg on the streets or doing humble jobs in the Dominican Republic. Everything they were able to collect had to be handed over to traffickers. (EC) (Agenzia Fides 05/25/2011)
- 2014-10-16 - Haiti will ask for an extension to the Dominican Republic to regulate the "sans papiers"
- 2014-09-23 - Social movements denounce the failure of the UN Mission, protests in the streets
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The chikungunya virus attacks the poor, even the Church is committed to keeping the disease under control
- 2014-06-04 - Project "House built, hope fulfilled – Vita Ville" for many families, victims of the earthquake
- 2014-05-28 - Economic support for Haitian mothers who live in extreme poverty
- 2014-05-16 - Three years of Martelly’s presidency, among acclaim and requests for resignation
- 2014-05-16 - A center to transform cassava into flour and cope with food insecurity
- 2014-05-08 - Brotherhood and solidarity respond to those who promote hatred between Haitians and Dominicans
- 2014-04-29 - International organizations committed to solving the new political crisis