AFRICA/MOROCCO-Morocco a possible partner of the Gulf Cooperation Council: towards the creation of a regional "monarchical" bloc ?
Rabat (Agenzia Fides) - Morocco, along with Jordan, could become part of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), the organization created 30 years ago, which combines Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Oman and Qatar. "The leaders of the GCC welcomed the requests of Jordan and Morocco to join the Council and have commissioned their Foreign Ministers to begin negotiations with their counterparts from Jordan and Morocco, " announced the General Secretary of the GCC, Adbel Latif Zayani.
The main feature of all countries of the GCC, is to be monarchies or principalities, as are Morocco and Jordan. We therefore outline a regional "monarchical" bloc in a period characterized by the so-called "Arab revolution" that occurred mainly in presidential regimes (Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and Syria). The inclusion of Morocco in the GCC and North Africa also expands its influence at a time when several regional and world powers are looking with increasing interest to the African continent, in economic and strategic terms. Among them is Iran, which has started a process of rapprochement with Egypt, with an eye to the Middle East and another facing Africa. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/18/2011)
- 2014-05-31 - AFRICA/MOROCCO – Healthcare for women and children improves
- 2013-12-11 - "Barbed wire with blades to defend the Spanish enclaves, is an attack on the physical integrity of immigrants" says the Bishop of Tangier
- 2012-11-22 - Thousands of children workers suffer verbal and physical abuse, despite laws
- 2011-06-18 - The King presents the new Constitution and promises to guarantee "freedom of religious worship"
- 2011-05-18 - Morocco a possible partner of the Gulf Cooperation Council: towards the creation of a regional "monarchical" bloc ?
- 2011-03-28 - Bishops of Northern Africa: “No to war. We will make the Pope's appeal our own”
- 2010-04-24 - Migrants suffer “intolerable exploitation” affirm Bishops of North Africa
- 2010-04-16 - North African Bishops hold meeting April 20-24 in Rabat