AMERICA/URUGUAY-From May 16 to 21 the XXXIII Ordinary Assembly of LAEC in Montevideo
Montevideo (Agenzia Fides) - As of today, May 16 until May 21, the XXXIII Ordinary Assembly of LAEC (Latin American Episcopal Council) will take place in Montevideo(Uruguay). The meeting brings together 75 participants, of which 6 are Cardinals and 50 Bishops of the 22 Episcopal Conferences of Latin America and the Caribbean. The Ordinary Meeting is held, according to the statutes, every two years. In 2009 the Assembly was held in Managua, Nicaragua. This year`s Assembly is also elective because, in addition to examining the management of the four years 2007-2011, it will proceed to the election of the new presidency of LAEC for the period 2011-2015. The note sent to Fides points out that, for the appointment, the Episcopal Conferences are consulted to submit some candidates for these pastoral roles. It is a service to the Church in Latin America, where creativity, availability, and the initiative must be dominant.
The current President of LAEC, Mgr.Raymundo Damasceno Assis, Archbishop of Aparecida, was appointed President of the Episcopal Conference of Brazil (see Fides 05/03/2011). The other current offices are: Mgr.José Leopoldo González González, Auxiliary Bishop of Guadalajara in Mexico, who is General Secretary of LAEC, and Father Sidney Fones, Deputy General-Secretary.
Especially for this occasion, the Prefect of the Congregation of Bishops and President of the Pontifical Commission for Latin America, Cardinal Marc Ouellet, along with Vice President and the Apostolic Nuncio in Uruguay, Archbishop Anselmo Pecorari, the President of CLAR (Confederation of religious), Fr. Paulo Oetry F.S.C., other authorities and representatives of church bodies were invited to take part in the XXXIII Ordinary Assembly of LAEC. (EC) (Agenzia Fides 05/16/2011)
- 2015-07-28 - AMERICA/URUGUAY – State schools for children with disabilities
- 2015-05-30 - The Latin American devotion to Romero in Uruguay
- 2014-09-26 - The Bishops for the upcoming election: "We dream of a country where human life and the family are worth more than a hectare of land"
- 2014-09-19 - AMERICA/URUGUAY – The meeting of the PMS of the American Southern Cone: working together for the mission Ad gentes
- 2014-09-08 - “Passionate Communicators of the Good News”: meeting for Cono sur Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-12-19 - Over 13 thousand signatures in favor of clean environment
- 2013-12-13 - The legalization of marijuana will destroy family
- 2013-10-07 - The family at the center of missionary October
- 2013-07-02 - New educational center for the prevention of child labor
- 2013-06-21 - Invitation of the Church: a vote for a referendum against abortion