ASIA/JAPAN-The Nuncio: "The visit of Cardinal Sarah is a boost of encouragement for stricken Japan"
Tokyo (Agenzia Fides) - "The visit of Cardinal Robert Sarah, President of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum, will have a strong encouraging impact for the Japanese population hit by the earthquake and tsunami. I am sure that his presence, which shows the attention and affection of the Holy Father will be able to touch the hearts of all citizens of Japan, Christians and non-Christians " With these words, the Apostolic Nuncio in Japan, Archbishop Alberto Bottari de Castello, comments in an interview with Fides, the arrival of Cardinal Robert Sarah and Deputy-Secretary of Cor Unum,Mgr. Segundo Tejada, on their arrival on Japanese soil to bring a message of solidarity and hope by Pope Benedict XVI (see Fides 12/5/2011).
The Vatican delegation will visit the Saitama area tomorrow and the following days the diocese of Sendai, the worst hit by the disaster, ensuring the contribution that the Caritas Japan is offering in response to the humanitarian emergency. Mons Bottari notes that "in previous weeks, the interventions of the Holy Father, who emphasized the dignity and composure of the Japanese people have been highly beneficial and have been much appreciated." "The Japanese - says the Nuncio – by nature struggle to express their feelings, even with the idea of not loading their problems on others. So, in this cultural context, a verbal message and effective closeness and solidarity on behalf of those who do not criticize, but only encourage and pray, has a great value. Card Sarah will give to the refugees and to the suffering the affection on behalf of the Holy Father. "
After the earthquake and tsunami on 11 March, the country is in the midst of being rebuilt. Cor Unum has already made a contribution of 150 thousand dollars to the diocese of Sendai, used to help people in need, to repair churches, to rebuild homes. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 13/05/2011)
- 2013-10-10 ASIA/JAPAN - "Pacem in Terris" in Japanese infects society
- 2013-07-31 ASIA/JAPAN - More than 66,000 cases of child abuse in 2012
- 2013-04-10 ASIA/JAPAN - "Peaceful relations between North Korea and neighboring countries": the hope of the Church
- 2013-02-23 ASIA/JAPAN - Bishops tell Prime Minister Shinzo Abe: “No arms, no nuclear power, the Constitution cannot be changed”
- 2011-11-10 ASIA/JAPAN - The Bishops: "Stop to nuclear power, yes to alternative energy sources, a moral obligation for the future"
- 2011-09-09 ASIA/JAPAN - Caritas, six months after the earthquake: "Winter is round the corner for 100 thousand displaced persons, more efficient aid is required"
- 2011-08-30 ASIA/JAPAN - The Church asks the new Prime Minister Noda "more collaboration between state and religions"
- 2011-06-13 ASIA/JAPAN-Resignation of the Bishop of Hiroshima and appointment of successor
- 2011-05-17 ASIA/JAPAN- The visit of Cardinal Sarah to the earthquake area has ended, " great encouragement to the Church and for the country"
- 2011-05-13 ASIA/JAPAN-The Nuncio: "The visit of Cardinal Sarah is a boost of encouragement for stricken Japan"