AMERICA/NICARAGUA-The national prayer Crusade of the Rosary for peace in Nicaragua has began
Rivas (Agenzia Fides) - With great enthusiasm and devotion, the faithful Catholics of Rivas have welcomed the 11 Bishops of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua who have arrived in this town which lies about 113 km south of Managua, where "the national prayer Crusade of the Rosary has started, " which will last until July 1, the day declared by the Catholic Church in Nicaragua as a" national day of fasting for peace. "
The letter received by Fides from the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua, reports that more than a hundred faithful greeted the Bishops, who went to the Mayor of the city of Rivas, Wilfredo Lopez, and wanted to address a politicized speech to them, which had nothing to do with the circumstances. The mayor was interrupted by boos and protests of those present, that forced him to conclude his speech.
The President of the Episcopal Conference, Archbishop Leopoldo Brenes, Archbishop of Managua, thanked the faithful for the demonstrations of affection towards the Bishops and invited them to accompany them in procession to the Parish of San Pedro, where the Bishops and the clergy of the Diocese of Granada concelebrated the Mass.
In his homily, Archbishop Brenes, after the thanksgiving, said: "We have walked together as a Church, it is one of the best experiences that we carry in our hearts, because we are a missionary Church. Let us remember that the Blessed John Paul II gave us this great testimony to go around the world to share the Good News of Jesus, and Pope Benedict XVI has told us that our identity as the Church is to be a missionary Church. "
Archbishop Brenes has invited all the faithful to attend the National Prayer Crusade of the Rosary before the Blessed Sacrament, reminding the faithful that "the Bishops of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua, as announced in November last year, have proposed the year 2011 as the Year of the Word and prayer for Nicaragua, and have organized several activities in the context of us being the Church. "
The Bishops have urged the faithful to join in the month of May to recite the Rosary prayer asking for peace for Nicaragua. The country will go to elections on 6 November, Nicaraguans will elect a president, vice president, 90 deputies of the National Assembly and 20 representatives for the Central American Parliament (PARLACEN). (EC) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2011)
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - No to the exploitation of gold in Matagalpa, the clergy’s statement
- 2013-02-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The new Nuncio: Holy See and Nicaragua together for the common good and for the family
- 2012-12-13 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - 300 000 Nicaraguan children work instead of going to school
- 2012-12-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Nicaragua celebrates 450 years of devotion to Mary
- 2012-11-22 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Challenges to the family in the national reality: a Bishops' letter is being prepared
- 2012-10-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Taxi strike blocks the capital, Archbishop appeals for calm and dialogue
- 2012-09-27 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops on the November 4 elections: "an opportunity to reflect on how power is exercised and politics practiced "
- 2012-09-26 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "To become active subjects in the transformation of the country": today the pastoral Letter of the Bishops
- 2012-08-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarm for the phenomenon of forced pregnancies of young girls and adolescents
- 2012-07-23 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A course on the Social Doctrine of the Church has been inaugurated at the UCICAM