EUROPE/TURKEY-More investments, not charity, to turn around the poor countries in the world
Istanbul (Agenzia Fides) - The least developed countries do not need the charity of the richest, they require major and more intelligent investments. This is the starting point of the Fourth United Nations Conference for poor countries (LDC-IV) being held in Istanbul, Turkey. The meeting brings together 8,000 delegates, including the leaders of the 48 poorest countries in the world, international aid agencies and development partners, all committed to fighting poverty. In a statement of the Inter Press Service, it says that there are about 900 million citizens of the LDCs countries, half of whom live on less than $ 2 per day. According to the UN, in the past decade, 60% of refugees around the world came from these countries. Agriculture must become a priority and the key element to provide LDCs' countries food security and adequate nutrition.
According to the report "A World without LDCs, which has just been launched to the forum in Istanbul, this sector has long been forgotten in the poorest countries in the world, and many have now become importers. According to the World Bank, since June 2010, over a period of ten months, the increase in food prices has produced another 44 million poor people. The number of LDCs countries has risen from 25 in 1971 to the current 48. Additional resources are required to be invested in productive sectors, major development in the private sectors and increase in aid from the rich world. Furthermore, the removal of tariff barriers and non, access to the market for all LDCs products, commercial development, support for technology transfer to least developed countries, and support measures to promote investment are asked. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 11/05/2011)
- 2013-05-08 ASIA/TURKEY - A "Turkish plan" for Syriac Christians?
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/TURKEY - Mass influx of Assyrian Christians fleeing the Syrian conflict
- 2013-03-08 ASIA/TURKEY - Block the election bodies that administer the Foundations linked to religious minorities
- 2013-02-27 ASIA/TURKEY - A Protestant Pastor expelled, another escaped an attack
- 2013-01-24 ASIA/TURKEY - The Turkish authorities restructure the Foundations linked to religious minorities
- 2013-01-04 ASIA/TURKEY - The campaign to regain the relics of St. Nicholas of Myra restarts
- 2012-12-18 ASIA/TURKEY - Catholic Bishops’ spokesman controverts the Turkish press on "Vatican Archives and the Armenian Issue"
- 2012-05-30 ASIA/TURKEY - Prime Minister Erdogan. "Abortion is murder, yes to the law to abolish it"
- 2012-05-10 ASIA/TURKEY - Distorted translation of the Gospel, to make it "close to Muslims"-Christians protest
- 2012-04-17 ASIA/TURKEY - The Churches: may the new Constitution be "like a mother who embraces all her children"