VATICAN-" Mission is not our project, we should feel servants of God's mission, not protagonists": said Archbishop Vacchelli at the Assembly of the Pontifical Mission Societies
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - " Mission is not our project, we should feel servants of God's mission, not protagonists. To the whole Church and to us in particular we are asked to choose and live the main priorities of the mission, which is not a matter of money, but is the action of Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit of which we are only the arms ": said Archbishop Piergiuseppe Vacchelli, Assistant Secretary of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples and President of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS), opening today the administrative Session of the Annual General Assembly of the Pontifical Mission Societies, held in Rome (see Fides 06/05/2011). Among the prospects mentioned by the President of the Pontifical Mission, what is highlighted is the priority of staff training, "on a national and international level", which is not only cultural but also spiritual, and in-depth examination of the role of PMS.
In his speech Bishop Vacchelli, addressing the National Directors of PMS from all continents, he pointed out: "Our service does not have , or should not have, any other aim if not that of a humble service of the Gospel in favor of humanity . In this period, in which being a Christian is equivalent in many countries to being discriminated and persecuted, the presence of all the Churches in this Assembly is an event of intense communion and revival of love for evangelization. The Word of God runs through the continents and cannot be stopped by man. But for this to happen, it needs arms, hearts, messengers to proclaim it. This is what we intend to do as Pontifical International leaders and you as promoters and national trainers of consciousness and of the missionary commitment of your Churches ".
Taking stock of the activity in the last twelve months, the President of PMS cited the changes and the shifts of those responsible at different levels, which "has to be an occasion for renewal, almost starting a path again," the commitment of the Executive Committee to ensure the normal conduct of operations, the reorganization of the staff of the general Secretariat, the restructuring of the Colleges ... Among the problems reported by Mgr.Vacchelli, is the increase of dioceses and new Nunciatures to build, which does not correspond to a greater number of offers, on the contrary, " major expenses correspond to minor revenues”, and the need to demonstrate to the faithful the importance of supporting education of seminarians and priests at the Pontifical Universities in Rome, as" the preparation of Christian community leaders is as important as building wells and schools, and training is a driving force of that development. " (S.L.) (Agenzia Fides 05/11/2011)
- 2013-06-14 VATICAN - Cardinal Filoni consecrates St. Anthony Church in the UAE: "Confidence and hope for Christians"
- 2013-06-13 VATICAN - "Renew faith overcoming temptations from different cultures," Cardinal Fernando Filoni’s visit in UAE continues
- 2013-06-11 VATICAN - Cardinal Fernando Filoni’s visit in the UAE to consecrate the new Church of St. Anthony
- 2013-06-04 VATICAN - The conditions of Christians in Iraq and Egypt: Reunion of the Aid Agencies for the Oriental Churches
- 2013-06-04 VATICAN - Father Fernando Domingues, new Secretary General of the Pontifical Society of St. Peter Apostle
- 2013-05-23 VATICAN - The Pope prays for Catholics in China on the feast of Our Lady of Sheshan
- 2013-05-20 VATICAN - The Pope launches "Missio", an "App" for smartphones with Fides news
- 2013-05-18 VATICAN - "The PMS, concrete sign for the special attention to the young Churches," Cardinal Filoni at the audience with Pope Francis
- 2013-05-18 VATICAN - The Holy Father's Speech addressed to the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-05-14 VATICAN - "There is need to give renewal to the missionary animation of the Churches of ancient tradition," says the President of the Pontifical Mission Societies National Directors