AFRICA/LIBYA-" Appeals for a ceasefire have not been heard, not even the words of the Holy Father”, said the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - "I asked for a ceasefire, but no one listened to the appeal. It is true, we did not hear the bombs, but the planes flew over Tripoli preventing us from sleeping throughout the night. Although there are no bombings, the planes create panic among the population, children do not sleep anymore. It is understood that when a plane passes overhead in the night, we are afraid that a bomb could explode at any moment”, Archbishop Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli says to Fides.
"Yesterday I was at the funeral of Saif al-Arab (one of Gaddafi`s sons, who was killed in the bombing of his home together with his three grandchildren) –the Bishop continues -. Gaddafi was not present, but there were major representatives of the Libyan power, including some of his children, but not all. There was also Abdessalam Jalloud”. Abdessalam Jalloud, was one of Gaddafi`s closest collaborator`s and was long considered the "number two Libyan" until some time ago, before withdrawing from the public scene "I visited the bombed house and I was welcomed with great respect, I also captured great attention to what the Holy Father says. I am sorry to see this, but I get the impression that Christians are not always so careful to what the Pope says. The Holy Father called for a ceasefire, but was not heard”, says the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, who concludes: "I renew my appeal for a ceasefire, to respect the mourning family of the leader”. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2011)
- 2013-05-24 AFRICA/CONGO - The erection of the new diocese of Dolisie (Republic of Congo) and appointment of the first Bishop
- 2013-05-23 EUROPE/FRANCE - Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-05-22 AFRICA/CONGO - Appointment of National the Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-05-20 AFRICA - "Greater financial transparency" is what two Bishops ask the European Union
- 2013-04-22 AFRICA - Reception centers for 4,000 street children in the Sahel
- 2013-04-19 AFRICA – Hunger emergency for a half million children in the Sahel region
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/CANADA - Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-04-13 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Resignation of the Bishop of Nsukka and appointment of successor
- 2013-03-18 AMERICA - From CELAM to Pope Francis: "Let us always remember the call to mission. Bishop and people"
- 2013-03-08 ASIA - Civil and religious leaders united against nuclear weapons