OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The “missionary” John Paul II in the hearts of the indigenous
Vanimo (Agenzia Fides) – Faithful Catholics, Christians of all confessions and even non-Christians in Papua New Guinea carry the work of John Paul II in their hearts, according to missionaries working in the Country. They say that he is also popular among the 100 ethnic groups present in Papua. In recent weeks, with the upcoming Beatification on 1 May, the figure of Pope Wojtyla and his missionary character have been the focus of meetings and reflections in the Diocese of Vanimo. In fact, a documentary has been shown around the diocesan communities in English, which tells the story of Blessed John Paul II: the faithful have watched it and there has been much debate and discussion surrounding the film. While in recent weeks, the teaching and heritage of Pope Wojtyla have been the themes focused on by young Catholic men and women.
The local communities organised novenas and prayer vigils in honour of the Pope, recalling in particular his effort to make the Catholic Church truly “universal”, travelling as a missionary in so many nations across five continents. The youth of Papua will experience the Beatification ceremony with their thoughts turned to World Youth Day in August in Madrid, where at least a few of them hope to be thanks to foreign assistance. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 29/4/2011)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2013-05-16 ASIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Young pilgrims from Papua ask to pray with the Pope in Rome
- 2013-05-14 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - "Hanging the criminals?": Intense debate on capital punishment
- 2013-05-07 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The social media revolution has arrived in Papua
- 2013-04-26 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Archbishop Douglas: "It is urgent to find something better than the death penalty"
- 2013-04-12 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Bishops to the Prime Minister: fight against corruption and more collaboration between Church and state
- 2013-04-12 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - File - The Church, a precious resource for society
- 2013-04-11 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Bishops bear witness to the faith on social networks
- 2013-02-26 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Muslims in Papua: the new frontier of Islam in Oceania
- 2013-01-29 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Consecrated people: communication and evangelization via mobile phone
- 2012-12-21 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Christians: a legislative action against polygamy is urgent