OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The “missionary” John Paul II in the hearts of the indigenous
Vanimo (Agenzia Fides) – Faithful Catholics, Christians of all confessions and even non-Christians in Papua New Guinea carry the work of John Paul II in their hearts, according to missionaries working in the Country. They say that he is also popular among the 100 ethnic groups present in Papua. In recent weeks, with the upcoming Beatification on 1 May, the figure of Pope Wojtyla and his missionary character have been the focus of meetings and reflections in the Diocese of Vanimo. In fact, a documentary has been shown around the diocesan communities in English, which tells the story of Blessed John Paul II: the faithful have watched it and there has been much debate and discussion surrounding the film. While in recent weeks, the teaching and heritage of Pope Wojtyla have been the themes focused on by young Catholic men and women.
The local communities organised novenas and prayer vigils in honour of the Pope, recalling in particular his effort to make the Catholic Church truly “universal”, travelling as a missionary in so many nations across five continents. The youth of Papua will experience the Beatification ceremony with their thoughts turned to World Youth Day in August in Madrid, where at least a few of them hope to be thanks to foreign assistance. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 29/4/2011)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2015-10-10 - The Bishops: "Stop the crime against people accused of black magic"
- 2015-05-13 - Letter of Bishops: "The evil of capital punishment"
- 2015-05-11 - Bishops' Letter for the "Pacific Games": Sport, a tool for growth
- 2015-05-05 - Consecrated Life has the responsibility of "waking up a world" asleep in comfortable compromises
- 2015-03-31 - Cases of multidrug resistant tuberculosis increase and there is little accessibility to healthcare
- 2015-03-27 - "WeCare!" Foundation: support to vulnerable women and marginalized children and young people
- 2015-02-03 - The Bishops: "safe and humane conditions for refugees"
- 2015-01-19 - Bishops' Pastoral Plan: "Go and tell everyone"
- 2015-01-15 - Twenty years with Blessed Peter ToRot, an example for every Christian
- 2014-12-18 - The Bishop of Alotau’s appeal for the population