OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The “missionary” John Paul II in the hearts of the indigenous
Vanimo (Agenzia Fides) – Faithful Catholics, Christians of all confessions and even non-Christians in Papua New Guinea carry the work of John Paul II in their hearts, according to missionaries working in the Country. They say that he is also popular among the 100 ethnic groups present in Papua. In recent weeks, with the upcoming Beatification on 1 May, the figure of Pope Wojtyla and his missionary character have been the focus of meetings and reflections in the Diocese of Vanimo. In fact, a documentary has been shown around the diocesan communities in English, which tells the story of Blessed John Paul II: the faithful have watched it and there has been much debate and discussion surrounding the film. While in recent weeks, the teaching and heritage of Pope Wojtyla have been the themes focused on by young Catholic men and women.
The local communities organised novenas and prayer vigils in honour of the Pope, recalling in particular his effort to make the Catholic Church truly “universal”, travelling as a missionary in so many nations across five continents. The youth of Papua will experience the Beatification ceremony with their thoughts turned to World Youth Day in August in Madrid, where at least a few of them hope to be thanks to foreign assistance. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 29/4/2011)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2013-11-29 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific wants to be more present in the media
- 2013-11-18 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishop Rolando Santos: "The light of faith to enlighten the lives of families"
- 2013-11-12 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The family at the center of the Church's pastoral plan for the next five years
- 2013-11-06 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific questions itself about the new evangelization
- 2013-11-05 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church looks into the future: from the General Assembly a new pastoral plan
- 2013-08-27 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Church calls for authentic alliance with the State, especially with regards to social policy
- 2013-07-26 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The religious, voice and prophetic action in society
- 2013-07-23 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church deplores the agreement between Australia and Papua New Guinea on refugees
- 2013-07-16 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Prohibit non-Christian faiths? For the Church, it would be absurd
- 2013-07-09 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Teenage pregnancies: the Church is alone in the prevention