OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The “missionary” John Paul II in the hearts of the indigenous
Vanimo (Agenzia Fides) – Faithful Catholics, Christians of all confessions and even non-Christians in Papua New Guinea carry the work of John Paul II in their hearts, according to missionaries working in the Country. They say that he is also popular among the 100 ethnic groups present in Papua. In recent weeks, with the upcoming Beatification on 1 May, the figure of Pope Wojtyla and his missionary character have been the focus of meetings and reflections in the Diocese of Vanimo. In fact, a documentary has been shown around the diocesan communities in English, which tells the story of Blessed John Paul II: the faithful have watched it and there has been much debate and discussion surrounding the film. While in recent weeks, the teaching and heritage of Pope Wojtyla have been the themes focused on by young Catholic men and women.
The local communities organised novenas and prayer vigils in honour of the Pope, recalling in particular his effort to make the Catholic Church truly “universal”, travelling as a missionary in so many nations across five continents. The youth of Papua will experience the Beatification ceremony with their thoughts turned to World Youth Day in August in Madrid, where at least a few of them hope to be thanks to foreign assistance. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 29/4/2011)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2014-03-01 - Bishops: urgent “truly humane” response to question of refugees
- 2014-02-03 - UN Coordinator in Papua: "Additional reflection is needed with regards to death penalty"
- 2014-01-31 - Archbishop Young: concern for the 13 prisoners that will be executed
- 2014-01-30 - The Church: population growth is not a nightmare
- 2014-01-28 - OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA – Does Papua New Guinea want notoriety thanks to the death penalty?
- 2014-01-23 - On the feast of St. Francis de Sales, the Church reflects on witchcraft
- 2014-01-02 - Fight against witchcraft: the vital contribution of Churches
- 2013-12-19 - A nun at the service of the illiterate and people with AIDS
- 2013-11-29 - The Church in the Pacific wants to be more present in the media
- 2013-11-18 - Bishop Rolando Santos: "The light of faith to enlighten the lives of families"