AFRICA / BURKINA FASO - The revolt of the military extends to other cities, merchants irritation to ransacking is increasing
Ouagadougou (Agenzia Fides) - "Since yesterday evening, the situation is calm, in Ouagadougou even if a few gunfire shots were heard in the night” Church sources told Fides from the capital of Burkina Faso, where in recent days after the military revolt, the merchants started their revolt, whose shops were ransacked and destroyed by the undisciplined troops (see Fides 15 and 16 April 2011). The climate of revolt has spread to other cities of the Country. "The most serious incidents occurred at Po, where between Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 April, the military came out of the barracks firing in the air and ransacking shops”, say sources of Fides.
"Yesterday, the shops remained closed in Ouagadougou, also because the President of the merchants association had invited its members to keep their shops closed. The government has promised to offer help to the merchants whose shops were destroyed during the revolt of the military in recent days”, say our sources. To calm the people down, President Blaise Compaoré has dismissed the government. " The Head of State has renewed the top military for now and is carrying out consultations to appoint the new government, no one knows when it will be elected" concludes the sources of Fides. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/18/2011)
AFRICA / BURKINA FASO
- 2015-11-30 - Waiting for yesterday’s election results
- 2015-11-10 - "Justice and Peace" launches a major project of solidarity across the Country
- 2015-10-05 - "We are all called to work for reconciliation" says Cardinal Ouédraogo after the failed coup
- 2015-10-02 - Leader of the coup surrenders; today a day of prayer for peace in the Country
- 2015-09-28 - Coup leaders retreat: the role of the king of the Mossi in the resolution of the crisis
- 2015-09-23 - An agreement with the coup leaders has been reached; Bishops: "do not destroy the expectations of the people"
- 2015-09-22 - Burkina Faso's army has given coup leaders an ultimatum to surrender
- 2015-09-17 - "A predictable coup since Compaoré's praetorian guard was not dissolved" say Fides sources
- 2015-09-07 - Bishops' message for the 11 October elections: "Politics, the highest form of charity"
- 2015-07-15 - Caritas launches the program of consolidation of democracy in view of the elections in October