AFRICA / BURKINA FASO - The revolt of the military extends to other cities, merchants irritation to ransacking is increasing
Ouagadougou (Agenzia Fides) - "Since yesterday evening, the situation is calm, in Ouagadougou even if a few gunfire shots were heard in the night” Church sources told Fides from the capital of Burkina Faso, where in recent days after the military revolt, the merchants started their revolt, whose shops were ransacked and destroyed by the undisciplined troops (see Fides 15 and 16 April 2011). The climate of revolt has spread to other cities of the Country. "The most serious incidents occurred at Po, where between Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 April, the military came out of the barracks firing in the air and ransacking shops”, say sources of Fides.
"Yesterday, the shops remained closed in Ouagadougou, also because the President of the merchants association had invited its members to keep their shops closed. The government has promised to offer help to the merchants whose shops were destroyed during the revolt of the military in recent days”, say our sources. To calm the people down, President Blaise Compaoré has dismissed the government. " The Head of State has renewed the top military for now and is carrying out consultations to appoint the new government, no one knows when it will be elected" concludes the sources of Fides. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/18/2011)
AFRICA / BURKINA FASO
- 2013-10-28 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - John Paul II foundation for the Sahel: renew oneself for a better service to the poor
- 2013-09-21 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - "The Catholic Church will not sit in the Senate" say the Catholic Bishops
- 2013-07-23 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - The Bishops: "Burkina Faso needs justice, reconciliation and peace"
- 2013-02-20 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - Caritas Sahel Meeting: focus Humanitarian Crisis in Mali
- 2012-12-15 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - Centenary of the Evangelization of Koudougou: an extraordinary opportunity to become more aware of the missionary mandate
- 2012-11-24 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - "There is always the widow's contribution that gives hope": testimony of the Bishop of Tenkodogo
- 2012-10-25 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - A Camillian from Burkina Faso dies at the age of 21, on the 45th day of his first religious profession
- 2012-10-18 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - "It is a great thing to serve others": the testimony of a missionary Camillian doctor from Burkina Faso
- 2012-07-16 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - Famine and insecurity at the base of the exodus of refugees from Mali; the project of the Camillian Task Force
- 2012-07-03 AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - The gold rush and its social consequences