AFRICA / RWANDA - In the rural area of Muhura 40,000 people can now take advantage of the electricity power
Muhura (Agenzia Fides) - According to the estimates conducted by FAO , two billion people, mostly in rural areas of developing countries, are still living without electricity. This means living in a never-ending state of hunger and poverty. Just think of all the difficulties for farmers to harvest, store and sell the products of their land. Living without electricity also means working hard, especially women and children, who are usually engaged in finding water and wood.
Since 2007, the Movement for the Struggle Against World Hunger is committed to bringing electricity to approximately 40,000 people in the District of Gatsibo (eastern Rwanda). In particular it was the realization of a line of 18 km that is linked to the national line, which draws almost exclusively from water sources. Now the project has been completed and, in addition to what has been achieved with the involvement of local people, awareness on the use of the resource was also actuated. The arrival of electricity in the District allows hospitals and clinics to operate at full capacity, the schools increase, the markets consolidate and families can light their homes. Two major industrial activities for the area will soon be lauched, too: a workshop for roasting coffee and a barn. The district includes the rural town of Muhura which has had electricity for a few weeks and where schools, St. Joseph's orphanage, the dispensary and public offices in the area are fully operational. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 04/15/2011)
AFRICA / RWANDA
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/RWANDA - Refugee camps are collapsing due to another stream of Congolese
- 2012-03-26 AFRICA/RWANDA-Lack of water: every 17 seconds a child dies, more than 40% of the population in sub-Saharan Africa is severly affected.
- 2012-03-15 AFRICA/RWANDA - Mgr. Misago has died, Bishop of Gikongoro, accused and acquitted for the genocide in 1994
- 2012-03-08 AFRICA/RWANDA - The Catholic Church signed an agreement with the police to combat violence against women
- 2012-02-13 AFRICA/RWANDA - biogas system for cooking in the orphanage of Muhura
- 2011-04-15 AFRICA / RWANDA - In the rural area of Muhura 40,000 people can now take advantage of the electricity power
- 2011-03-03 AFRICA/RWANDA - Aqueduct in operation for the 28,000 inhabitants in the district of Gicumbi
- 2010-12-07 AFRICA/RWANDA - Maternal and infant mortality rates are improving but there is still a long way to go for health care in the Country
- 2010-08-17 AFRICA/RWANDA - “We remain concerned...about a series of disturbing events prior to the election” says American government
- 2010-08-12 AFRICA/RWANDA - Kagame re-elected with 93% of the vote; attack in Kigali leaves 7 wounded