AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Priest found dead in his home, signs of struggle
Villarrica (Agenzia Fides) - Bishop Julio César Alvarez, had been pastor of the parish "Sagrado Corazón de Jesús" for two years in Villarrica, 150 km from Asunción, he was murdered at his home in the early hours of April 14. His lifeless body was in his room in the morning, he had been strangled and there were traces of a fight. His hands and feet were tied. There were several shots in the head , injuries and scratches. While authorities are conducting investigations to identify the reasons of the crime and the guilty, it is possible that the priest was the victim of a series of thefts that had occurred in the parishes of Villarrica in recent months, as the Bishop pointed out in an interview on the local radio. The day before the priest had withdrawn a sum of money to buy a car.
In the statement issued by the Episcopal Conference, which was received by Fides, reads: "The Paraguayan Episcopal Conference expresses its deepest condolences to the Bishop of the Diocese of Villarrica del Espiritu Santo, Bishop Ricardo Valenzuela Rios, to the clergy, religious, and the faithful for Father Julio Cesar Alvarez`s death, pastor of the parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Villarrica and at the same time elevates prayers so that the merciful Lord welcomes him into his holy habitation. It also requests that the competent authorities look into the case for the immediate clarification of the circumstances of his death".
Bishop Julio César Alvarez, 47, was ordained priest in 1989. He held various positions including: Trainer at the Major Seminary, Chancellor, Head of the team of diocesan vocations, professor of theology at the Catholic University. From 1994 to 2005 he was Secretary of Nunziatura in Korea, Syria and Cuba. He then was Parish Priest, Assistant to the Christian Family Movement, and from 2009, parish priest of the "Sagrado Corazón de Jesús" in Villarrica. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 15/04/2011)
- 2015-06-18 - AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Urgent need to eradicate child labor, which is dangerous and harmful to physical and mental development
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected