AFRICA/LIBYA - “Turkey's position on Libya is good,” Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli tells Fides
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - “It seems to me that Turkey has taken a good position in the Libyan crisis,” Bishop Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, tells Fides alluding to the efforts of mediation pursued by Turkey to reach an early cease-fire. Yesterday, April 4, the Libyan Deputy Foreign Minister Abdelati Laabidi travelled to Ankara, Turkey, for a meeting with the Turkish Foreign Minister, Ahmet Davutoglu: at the centre of the talks was the issue of a cease-fire between the forces of the regime and the rebels.
“If we want to find a solution to the crisis in this Country, we need to consider the reasons by one and all. The wrongs are not only on one side. The regime also still has a degree of consensus. The Libyan radio continues to spread news of protests supporting Gheddafi from all over the world,” says Bishop Martinelli.
The Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli adds that “as regards the Africans found dead on the beaches of Libya, we have personally only seen a dozen bodies, beyond recognition because they are bloated and swollen. Probably they had been in the water for some time. The figure I had previously reported (68 bodies), was information I had been given. But I personally can only confirm the presence of ten bodies. I was told that more bodies were recovered on a beach in Garbuli.” (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 5/4/2011)
- 2013-05-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - Attack near the Catholic church in Benghazi
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/LIBYA - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 AFRICA/LIBYA - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi
- 2012-12-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Security is the top priority of my government," says the Libyan Premier
- 2012-12-17 AFRICA/LIBYA - The Libyan authorities decree the south "military zone" and close the borders with four States
- 2012-12-07 AFRICA/LIBYA - Christmas carols in different languages: a tradition of the Church in Libya
- 2012-09-12 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Do not offend the peoples religious sensibility," said Mgr. Martinelli