AFRICA/LIBYA - “I am not afraid of the bombs, but rather the inability to try and dialogue,” says the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - “I am not afraid of the bombs, but rather the inability to try and dialogue to find a peaceful solution,” says Bishop Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, Libya, to Fides. According to the Apostolic Vicar: “The bombing continues. The explosions haven't stopped from last night to early this morning. It has been awful. There seems to be a pause for the moment. But I repeat, I am not afraid of the bombs as much as I am the inability of everyone to find a peaceful solution.” Bishop Martinelli says that “this evening Gheddafi reappeared on television and said that he will never surrender. We need to reach a truce to end the violence and deaths, and then create dialogue between the parties,” concludes the Bishop.
According to local news, during the night targets in Tripoli were hit by cruise missiles. Clashes were reported around various areas of Libya between forces loyal to Gheddafi and the rebels. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/3/2011)
- 2013-05-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - Attack near the Catholic church in Benghazi
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/LIBYA - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 AFRICA/LIBYA - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi
- 2012-12-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Security is the top priority of my government," says the Libyan Premier
- 2012-12-17 AFRICA/LIBYA - The Libyan authorities decree the south "military zone" and close the borders with four States
- 2012-12-07 AFRICA/LIBYA - Christmas carols in different languages: a tradition of the Church in Libya
- 2012-09-12 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Do not offend the peoples religious sensibility," said Mgr. Martinelli