AFRICA/CÔTE-D'IVOIRE - Towards civil war to the indifference of the international community; damage to a convent in Clarisse
Abidjan (Agenzia Fides) - “Côte d'Ivoire is sliding into civil war,” reveal local Church sources to Fides, who for security motives wish to remain anonymous. “The fighting in Abidjan, the administrative and economic capital of the Country, is the order of the day. Whole areas of the city are invested in the violence, especially in Abobo and Yopougon, where civilians have managed to escape or be trapped in their houses,” say our sources.
“In Abobo yesterday a convent of Poor Clares was hit by heavy artillery. Luckily the sisters, who were praying in the chapel, were not hurt, but the monastery sustained some damage,” report local sources. “The Religious leaders of Côte d'Ivoire are trying to mediate, but it seems difficult to contact the two parties. Communication difficulties also hamper the process of finding a common position among the religious representatives”, concludes our source.
According to local news reports, the party of outgoing President Laurent Gbagbo has called on young supporters to enlist en masse in the armed forces. The militiamen of the New Forces, the former rebels, who support the President-elect Alassane Ouattara, went into attack in the west, while continuing their offensive in Abidjan, towards the district of Cocody, where the corridors of power are concentrated.
The Government of Nigeria has criticised the 'contradictions' of the international community, which is focusing its attention on Libya, to the detriment of Côte d'Ivoire on the brink of a real civil war. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/3/2011)
- 2012-08-06 AFRICA/IVORY COAST - At least 6 people killed in an assault on a police station in Abidjan
- 2012-07-12 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - "No to the cultural leveling, yes to the rediscovery of the richness of African culture," said Cardinal Sarr
- 2012-06-14 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Still deaths in the West, "There are too many weapons in circulation" reports the Bishop of Man
- 2012-06-11 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Civilians fleeing the south-west after the killing of 7 "Blue Helmets"
- 2012-06-08 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Mobile Libraries for orphaned and vulnerable children due to HIV/AIDS
- 2012-01-31 AFRICA/IVORY COAST - The newly formed Regional Episcopal Conference of West Africa (RECOWA-CERAO)
- 2012-01-24 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE-The Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples (CEP), Archbishop Filoni, to the Bishops of Western Africa: "to live fully, and in truth, an effective and affective pastoral solidarity"
- 2011-12-16 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Victory of the President’s coalition
- 2011-12-10 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Legislative elections: a strong turnout is not expected because of the outgoing President’s supporters’ boycott
- 2011-12-07 AFRICA/IVORY COAST - In the African country every 36 hours a child is abused