ASIA/JAPAN - Earthquakes and Tsunamis are “a challenge to witness to love” for Catholics
Saitama (Agenzia Fides) - “The Church in Japan will respond to the tragedy of the earthquake and tsunami that struck northern Japan, with prayer and solidarity,” said Bishop Marcellinus Daiji Tani to Fides from the Diocese of Saitama, one of the dioceses most affected by the earthquake. “The greatest damage was reported in Sendai,” notes the Bishop, “but my own Diocese of Saitama, a little to the south was also affected, fortunately without human losses. Of particular concern to us is the situation of the nuclear power plant in Fukushima. But we must take courage, with the help of the Holy Spirit. Tomorrow, at Sunday Masses throughout the Country, we will remember the victims, the wounded and the displaced. As a Christian community, we are ready with prayer and solidarity.” The Bishop remarks: “This sad event reminds us that life is in the hands of God and that life is a gift from God. It will be a challenge for all of us to practice and witness to the commandment of love and brotherly love, in this time of Lent.” (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/3/2011)
- 2013-04-10 ASIA/JAPAN - "Peaceful relations between North Korea and neighboring countries": the hope of the Church
- 2013-02-23 ASIA/JAPAN - Bishops tell Prime Minister Shinzo Abe: “No arms, no nuclear power, the Constitution cannot be changed”
- 2011-11-10 ASIA/JAPAN - The Bishops: "Stop to nuclear power, yes to alternative energy sources, a moral obligation for the future"
- 2011-09-09 ASIA/JAPAN - Caritas, six months after the earthquake: "Winter is round the corner for 100 thousand displaced persons, more efficient aid is required"
- 2011-08-30 ASIA/JAPAN - The Church asks the new Prime Minister Noda "more collaboration between state and religions"
- 2011-06-13 ASIA/JAPAN-Resignation of the Bishop of Hiroshima and appointment of successor
- 2011-05-17 ASIA/JAPAN- The visit of Cardinal Sarah to the earthquake area has ended, " great encouragement to the Church and for the country"
- 2011-05-13 ASIA/JAPAN-The Nuncio: "The visit of Cardinal Sarah is a boost of encouragement for stricken Japan"
- 2011-04-30 ASIA/JAPAN-The sufferings of the Japanese people commended to Blessed John Paul II
- 2011-04-28 ASIA/JAPAN-Serious health risks for pregnant women and fetuses exposed to radiation in Fukushima