AFRICA/LIBYA - “We need to avoid more bloodshed. There are better ways than with violence,” the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli tells Fides
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - “I pray that there will be no further spilling of blood. I don't believe that it is appropriate to step in with force, because there will be more bloodshed. So declared Bishop Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, in Libya. “I believe that we can find another way out of this situation,” continued the Bishop. “And it is not difficult to find one because in the Bedouin culture there are social structures that assist reconciliation. There may be people that would favour a turn in negotiating. In my humble opinion, it is the only way to surpass the crisis and prevent more bloodshed. There are better ways than with violence.” (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 8/3/2011)
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/LIBYA - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 AFRICA/LIBYA - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi
- 2012-12-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Security is the top priority of my government," says the Libyan Premier
- 2012-12-17 AFRICA/LIBYA - The Libyan authorities decree the south "military zone" and close the borders with four States
- 2012-12-07 AFRICA/LIBYA - Christmas carols in different languages: a tradition of the Church in Libya
- 2012-09-12 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Do not offend the peoples religious sensibility," said Mgr. Martinelli
- 2012-08-10 AFRICA/LIBYA - Transfer of power from the CNT to the National Assembly which elects its President Mohamed al-Magariaf