AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Bible in the K’iché language, the most widespread Mayan language
Guatemala City (Agenzia Fides) – During the study of the post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation Verbum Domini, Bishop Julio Cabrera of Jalapa, presented the recent publication of the Bible translated into K'iché, the most popular of the 22 Mayan languages spoken in the country. According to information received by Fides, the translation of the Bible in K'iché is the result of 23 years of work by a group coordinated by French priest Bernardo Guos and by Isabel Sucuquí, for the Mayan language, originally from Chico, El Quiché.
Bishop Cabrera explained that the work of digitisation of the document began last year in Bilbao, Spain, and then continued in China for the printing, from where this Bible will be delivered to the people of Guatemala. For his part, Father Guos explained that the translation of the Scriptures was not completed from Spanish, but from the original language, through a process of constant review by K'iché catechists, to reach the final text of a modern Bible, which allows the reading of the text without the help of other languages.
Isabel Sucuquí expressed her delight for this version that honours all martyrs, the K'iché people, and everyone involved in the translation. She also recognised the valuable contribution of the catechists of various Catholic parishes in the west of the Country. The translation of the Bible into K'iché marks a historic moment for the Church in Guatemala, which now offers the Holy Book to many catechists in their language, a lifesaver for those who had to bury their heads in Bibles and other texts of Christian formation when the Church suffered a bloody persecution. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 04/03/2011)
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Clashes on mining. "One must avoid violence and protect the rights of communities," says a Bishop
- 2013-04-29 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Indifference of the government before violence, the bishops raise their voices recalling the open wounds
- 2013-02-26 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Year of Faith: a pastoral Letter denouncing violence
- 2013-01-28 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - For the Bishops "the food crisis that affects thousands of Guatemalans is more serious than the financial crisis"
- 2013-01-16 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - "Do not kill": the Apostolic Administrator of Izabal invites the community not to take the law into their hands
- 2012-11-19 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - "The conflicts that the country experiences are still unresolved": Bishops' document on the situation
- 2012-11-10 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Earthquake in Guatemala : 52 victims, the plan of aid and solidarity has begun
- 2012-11-08 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Earthquake in Guatemala: 48 victims and 17,000 displaced
- 2012-11-05 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Malnutrition, poverty and drought for thousands of women, children, indigenous and rural population
- 2012-10-31 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - About 2,300 children and young people missing since 2010 continue to still be absent at the roll-call