AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Bible in the K’iché language, the most widespread Mayan language
Guatemala City (Agenzia Fides) – During the study of the post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation Verbum Domini, Bishop Julio Cabrera of Jalapa, presented the recent publication of the Bible translated into K'iché, the most popular of the 22 Mayan languages spoken in the country. According to information received by Fides, the translation of the Bible in K'iché is the result of 23 years of work by a group coordinated by French priest Bernardo Guos and by Isabel Sucuquí, for the Mayan language, originally from Chico, El Quiché.
Bishop Cabrera explained that the work of digitisation of the document began last year in Bilbao, Spain, and then continued in China for the printing, from where this Bible will be delivered to the people of Guatemala. For his part, Father Guos explained that the translation of the Scriptures was not completed from Spanish, but from the original language, through a process of constant review by K'iché catechists, to reach the final text of a modern Bible, which allows the reading of the text without the help of other languages.
Isabel Sucuquí expressed her delight for this version that honours all martyrs, the K'iché people, and everyone involved in the translation. She also recognised the valuable contribution of the catechists of various Catholic parishes in the west of the Country. The translation of the Bible into K'iché marks a historic moment for the Church in Guatemala, which now offers the Holy Book to many catechists in their language, a lifesaver for those who had to bury their heads in Bibles and other texts of Christian formation when the Church suffered a bloody persecution. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 04/03/2011)
- 2014-10-28 - "City of Hope": an integral project for young landfill workers
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in Sacatepéquez continues, the government asks for the mediation of the Church
- 2014-09-29 - Child workers: the exploitation of children represents a permanent crisis
- 2014-09-25 - Violence does not stop due to a mega project in the indigenous territories: 11 dead and several wounded
- 2014-09-10 - AMERICA/GUATEMALA – Fighting poverty and undernourishment to escape underdevelopment
- 2014-02-12 - "Life is not respected any more in the country" alarm of the Church in the fight against drug trafficking
- 2014-02-03 - Everyone must commit themselves for peace and social justice
- 2013-10-23 - " They only leave crumbs, generate social conflicts and destroy the environment": Mgr. Ramazzini on foreign mining companies
- 2013-10-02 - Over two thousand children are HIV-positive
- 2013-08-29 - Ensuring food and health care to mothers in the early months of pregnancy to prevent born babies to die of hunger