AFRICA/TANZANIA - Infant mortality reduced to 10% thanks to the work of San Gaspare Hospital in Itigi
Rome (Agenzia Fides) – “San Gaspare” Hospital in Itigi, situated in one of the poorest zones in the region, offers assistance to people who live there but also to people from further away, without distinction for race or religion. The hospital has about 350 beds and 250 staff including doctors, paramedics and nurses. Every year about 7,000 in-patients are registered, more than 62,000 out-patients and about 9,000 lab exams are conducted. It ranks among the nation's top hospitals for management, quality of machinery, expertise and capabilities. One of the most important units is paediatrics where there are 150 beds. Thanks also to this service, the Country's infant mortality rate has been reduced from 98% in the 1960s to 10% today. The hospital is part of humanitarian projects supported by the “Friends of Missions”, which has long collaborated with the Missionaries of the Precious Blood, to serve the poorest and most needy in Tanzania and India. For many years, the hospital in Itigi has worked with the “Bambino Gesù” Hospital in Rome for special surgeries, including heart surgery. (AP) (22/2/2011 Agenzia Fides)
- 2014-02-28 AFRICA/TANZANIA – Zanzibar police says “no religious motives behind bomb blasts”
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Test HIV/AIDS and free antiretroviral in the Diocese of Shinyanga
- 2013-09-18 AFRICA/TANZANIA - The conditions of the priest attacked with acid remain serious. "Why is the Church attacked?" asks the Bishop
- 2013-09-16 AFRICA/TANZANIA - The priest attacked with acid in Zanzibar transferred to Dar es Salaam
- 2013-09-03 AFRICA/TANZANIA - The Country commits itself to prohibiting child labor in gold mines
- 2013-05-22 AFRICA/TANZANIA - "The Church is object of persecution but the government does not intervene"
- 2013-05-10 AFRICA/TANZANIA - "Ban on religious hate speech" interfaith commitment after the attack in Arusha
- 2013-05-07 AFRICA/TANZANIA – Attack in Arusha: the testimony of the Apostolic Nuncio to Fides
- 2013-05-06 AFRICA/TANZANIA - "Let us wait to have more information before speaking out about the attack in Arusha"
- 2013-02-26 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Music to promote tolerance, but Christians feel under fire