AFRICA/TANZANIA - Infant mortality reduced to 10% thanks to the work of San Gaspare Hospital in Itigi
Rome (Agenzia Fides) – “San Gaspare” Hospital in Itigi, situated in one of the poorest zones in the region, offers assistance to people who live there but also to people from further away, without distinction for race or religion. The hospital has about 350 beds and 250 staff including doctors, paramedics and nurses. Every year about 7,000 in-patients are registered, more than 62,000 out-patients and about 9,000 lab exams are conducted. It ranks among the nation's top hospitals for management, quality of machinery, expertise and capabilities. One of the most important units is paediatrics where there are 150 beds. Thanks also to this service, the Country's infant mortality rate has been reduced from 98% in the 1960s to 10% today. The hospital is part of humanitarian projects supported by the “Friends of Missions”, which has long collaborated with the Missionaries of the Precious Blood, to serve the poorest and most needy in Tanzania and India. For many years, the hospital in Itigi has worked with the “Bambino Gesù” Hospital in Rome for special surgeries, including heart surgery. (AP) (22/2/2011 Agenzia Fides)
- 2015-11-10 - Start negotiations to overcome the crisis after the cancellation of the vote in Zanzibar
- 2015-10-29 - The elections in Zanzibar revoked due to "serious irregularities"
- 2015-10-06 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "No to ethnic or religious manipulations before the vote"
- 2015-06-19 - Bishop of Mpanda to the young: "Go and vote in the October elections"
- 2015-03-31 - Constitutional referendum at risk for the controversy over Islamic Courts
- 2015-02-18 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – Kidnapping of one year old albino toddler triggers indignation
- 2014-10-17 - Activities and programs for children and adolescents infected with HIV
- 2014-08-06 - Some Tanzanian citizens arrested in connection with the assaults in Lamu, causing 100 deaths
- 2014-07-12 - The Bishops to the constituents: "You have a moral duty to give the Country a new constitution"
- 2014-06-25 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – A Tanzanian religious woman killed during a street robbery